What fish can I get with what I currently have/plan to get.

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Irish Burreeto, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Irish BurreetoNew MemberMember

I currently have 2 platys, 2 corys, and a pleco in a 30 gallon. I plan on getting an angelfish and possibly a pair of Kuhli loaches. What are yalls suggestions. Would the fish I've suggested/have be fine together? All suggestions are appreciated! Thanks.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Cories are schooling fish and need to be in groups of 6+ of their own species. What species are they?

What species of pleco?

Kuhlis need to be in groups of 6+ also, and I don't think you have room for both kuhlis and cories.

3. Kasye

KasyeValued MemberMember

What type of pleco do you have? Bristlenose plecos are, I believe, the only plecos suitable for a tank of that size.

The angelfish should be fine, and kuhli loaches do best in groups of at least 3-6 (I've seen varying sources on this, 6 would be safest), but otherwise, it sounds good!

4. TexasDomer

There are quite a few plecos appropriate for a 30 gal - clown, zebra, rubberlip, etc.

5. Kasye

KasyeValued MemberMember

My bad, haha! That's why I threw in the "I believe" because I just had a feeling I was missing quite a few.

6. tyguy7760

tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

As TexasDomer said, kuhli's and cories do better in groups of 6 minimum for each species. Kuhli's do better in even larger numbers. I would not mix cories and kuhli's as cories are much more outgoing and will outcompete the kuhli's for food. In a 30 gallon I would do 8-10 cories or kuhli's. Not both. Also, if you plan on getting an angel, you'll want to make sure if you go with cories that they are a warm water cory like sterbai or aeneus as angels prefer warmer water than a lot of cories can tolerate.

agree with Texas on the pleco suggestions though rubberlips would not be compatible with angels if you decided to go with angels as rubberlips prefer mid 70 degree water.

7. OP
    OP
    I

Irish BurreetoNew MemberMember

The pleco is a zebra hybrid, he is maybe 4-5 inches long and has been that size basically since I got him about a year ago. And I'm pretty set on getting an angelfish. I'll probably get a few more cories. Could I do any more platys or something similar?

8. TexasDomer

Can you include a pic of your pleco?

What species of cories do you have?

You could add a few more platies, yes.

9. OP
    OP
    I

I don't currently have a pic of the pleco, he tends to always be hiding. I'm not sure what species of Cory it is thAt I have, I got them from a pet store.

I will try to get a pic of him for you later today

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2016
  10. OP
    OP
    I

Sorry about the wait on the pic

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  11. TexasDomer

Looks like a Peckoltia.

Can you get a pic of your cories?

Your tank looks pretty bare too. I'd add more plants, wood, and decor to make the fish feel more comfortable.

12. OP
    OP
    I

I was cleaning it at the time I took the pic so I had the plants and hides out of it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice