Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this, so here goes.

I have:

2 sucking cats (2 inches each)
5 zebra danio (< 1 inch)
6 glowlight tetras (< 1 inch)
4 tiger barbs (< 1 inch)

At the moment all this is in a 30 gallon tank with some live plants and all seem to be quite happy ! I am just wondering what fish I can add to my collection without disrupting the other fellas already in there and actually make it a bit more of a happy family !?

I would like other fish, but maybe I should just top up on these "hardy fish" first so that the tank stays relatively easy to maintain. Clown loaches were high on the list, but after some research, my tank just ain't big enough Such a shame .. I will need to invest in ANOTHER BIGGER tank soon !

Let me know ... thanks !

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Les welcome to FishLore! Looks like you have a good variety there. Your tank is pretty well stocked, as the fish you have get to be adult size it could get crowded. The sucker mouth catfish are probably common plecostomous(yes thats really their name ) and they get to be about 12 inches, but they do this slowly and you have time to get another tank. The danio needs more buddies somewhere down the road as they are schooling fish and do better in groups of 5-6.
Yes I know how you feel about the Clown Loaches, they are wonderful. I have two in a 75 gallon and they will need a larger tank sometime in the future.
Carol

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Greetings Les, You say you have 2 plecos ? Find out for sure what they are, fishlore has a subject on Freshwater species, and you may wish to exchange them, or at least one of them soon. IF they are the common pleco, or a variety that gets up over 12' the waste will be more than your tank can handle. I had my experience with one of those, his name was Blackie, he grew...........and got so huge he would flip over when feeding time came and suck ALL the food off the top of the water before the other fish could get it! He was nice in every other way, except the 2' long strings of waste he left. I now have a nice little Royal Pleco, and there are many other varieties that stay small. I was lucky in that my LFS took Blackie back and found him a new home with someone with a large tank. My wish some day is to have Zebra Plecos and for another tank Gold Nuggets. Both are hard to come by where I live.
For algae clean up of your plants it is hard to beat the little ottos, 3-5 would not be to many. Also cory cats are good to clean up left overs on the tank floor. But IF your 'sucker mouth cats' are the plecos described above, you really can't get any thing else for your tank. As butterfly said your tank would be overstocked. The rule here is to count the 1" X gal, as the fish will be when they are grown, not what they are today. This keeps a healthy tank, and no trauma with all the ill effects of really having overcrowding. I know because I am there now, and have to do 50% water changes every day or every other, and am desperate to get a larger tank!

Fish in the Frozen North. 8)

les

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey there, the 2 suckers are otos I think

I have seen a 6' version but no 12' so far. I don't think mine can grow that big ?

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I am SO relieved. Otos are great. You caught me. 12" is what I meant! With otos, you could actually get several more, they like company, and do not grow out of bounds. Some folks use only Latin terms, that way there never are any misunderstandings. Your tank looks good, with your talent for photography, I hope you share more pictures!

Fish in the Frozen North. 8)

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Otos very rarely get over 2 inches. But there is also a fish that looks similar to the Oto and is called a Siamese Flying Fox(Crossocheilus siamensis) gets to about 3-1/2 inches.
Carol

les

Valued Member
Reaction score
Alright I now have the following fish as listed in my signature .. can I add swordtails (livebearers) to this combo ? This site does not say no --> nor does it say they will fit in
The tiger barbs are my main concern, but at this stage, they are all babies !! 3 qtr inch (2cm) is the max sized tiger barb. Any info appreciated.

EDIT: My sucking cats are not (peaceful) otocinclus but instead are bloody chinese (like me algae eaters .. apparently they DO get to 30 cm and become quite aggresive once they reach > 15 cms...

Scientific Name : Gyrinocheilos aymonieri
Common Names : Chinese Algae Eater, Indian Algae Eater, Sucker Loach, Sucker Fish, Golden Algae Eater

I should have done more research before buying fish. Shop keep said they are community fish .. what rubbish ... I am really pi55ed off at the shop that sold me the fish now ... VERY

EDIT 2 It is not all bad ... ONLY when they get too big will they pose a problem --> https://www.tropicalresources.net/phpBB2/fish_profiles_aymonieri.php

les

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Butterfly said:
But there is also a fish that looks similar to the Oto and is called a Siamese Flying Fox(Crossocheilus siamensis) gets to about 3-1/2 inches.
Carol, I have read the Flying Fox gets up to 5 - 6". But I've never personally had it. Do you think it gets much smaller in a home aquarium than 5 - 6"? I am considering getting this algae eater for my 75 g. Either this one, or a few Otos.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Isabella this is the flying fox I was talking about.
Thats the problem with common names, there are so many fish with the same common name it's hard to know which one we are speaking about
Carol

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom