What fish can go with koi?

davidm
what fish can go with koi fish

Shawnie
HI Dave...depends on tank size ...koi need lots of room and are big poo'ers

davidm
right now a 75 gal tank until july when my pond gets done

Shawnie
how many koi? and whahoooooooo on the pond..someday I'm going to have one! I just have to figure where to put them in the winter I don't have space for them right now

sirdarksol
About the only mates that can go with koi are goldfish and white cloud mountain minnows. Koi, like goldfish and minnows, are temperate critters, meaning they don't like having a stable, warm tank, which is exactly what tropical fish need.
Shawnie is right about tank size. You're looking at a hundred gallons or more just for one adult koi. I have a single koi and a single goldfish that will be going into a 200 gallon tank.

hockeyref88
Yeah......................If your going to have koi you'll probably need a pond and if your want to have a few you'll need a big one (at least 1000 Gal min.) with good filtration as they are big waste producers. Having said that you can put several types of goldfish, comets. The are other species that are endangered although I see them everywhere here where I live like chinese high fin sharks and sturgeons. I have a chinese high fin that was bread locally that takes care of the algae in my pond and I am thinking of getting a sturgeon that was also bread locally. Feeding them can be quite challenging but in talking with the breeder I think I can do it. Very cool fish. Hope this helps.

Rick

Shawnie
Yeah......................If your going to have koi you'll probably need a pond and if your want to have a few you'll need a big one (at least 1000 Gal min.) with good filtration as they are big waste producers. Having said that you can put several types of goldfish, comets. The are other species that are endangered although I see them everywhere here where I live like chinese high fin sharks and sturgeons. I have a chinese high fin that was bread locally that takes care of the algae in my pond and I am thinking of getting a sturgeon that was also bread locally. Feeding them can be quite challenging but in talking with the breeder I think I can do it. Very cool fish. Hope this helps.

Rick

got a new pic of the fish and the pond?? I don't think ive seen the fish in it...ya I know I just want it alll!

hockeyref88
got a new pic of the fish and the pond?? I don't think ive seen the fish in it...ya I know I just want it alll!

These are about a month old. I don't have any of the chinese high fin as of yet. She is a hard little bugger to photograph as she is pretty dark with some pink in her fins and dorsal. I just put new lights in the pond over the weekend so I'll try to get some new pic's at night.

Rick

Shawnie
TY!!!!!!! they have great markings... I'm envious!

platy ben
I have a large pond in my garden I don't know how many gallons it is, but the koi in there share it with the following:
Goldfish
Shubunkins
Common carp
Mirror carp
Grass carp
Leather carp
Golden orfe
Sterlet (Baby stergeon)
Green tench
Golden rudd
Comets
Weather loach

sirdarksol
Okay, so if you've got a lake-size space, you can have wild fish, such as common carp, grass carp, sturgeons, sunfish, etc...

Similar Aquarium Threads

• MrFishkeeper1
  • Koi
Replies
Views
qldmick
  • Question
  • kleon33
  • Koi
Replies
Views
JB92668