What Fish Can Breed In A 65?

MD_Plants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm receiving a 65 gallon tank in a few days and want to ask some members of FL what i should breed in it. I don't want 2 fish in there and would prefer something that is a large group, non-livebearers, rarer, and would not be super aggresivc. I have guppies in other tanks and would prefer not anything like that. Any ideas? I was thinking BN plecos

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i wouldn't breed the Bristle nose. I know that many of lfs here are overstocked always, with Bn and buy them extremly cheap. They appear to be everyone's lets breed a fish, first. As for what to breed, i can't think of anything in large schools that are rare suitable for your aquarium. What about a shoal of wild betta. Maybe go with a 4:2 to give the males a break.

MD_Plants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When i was saying rarer i was trying to say like a more rare genus of a fish, like a black moscow instead of fancy guppies. I just want something that dosnt need to be seperated and all can live together, and preferable dont get massive

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wild bettas seem the in fish right now as well as shell dwellers which both would fit the description you are looking for. The newer crosses of cories like the laser ones are also very popular. Some of the older color morphs of swordtails are coming back as well if you can find some that are still pure line.

MD_Plants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Im thinking about wild bettas. What do you mean by that? Like a pure strain or just randoms or what? Im sort of new to bettas and have little experience

MD_Plants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looking into it, it seems like the bettas need to be in seperate tanks before they breed. Is this true?

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are you planning to sell? If so I highly encourage you to fully look into the cost of this endeavor and the complexities retail/wholesale involves before you commit to it.

MD_Plants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thunder_o_b said:
Are you planning to sell? If so I highly encourage you to fully look into the cost of this endeavor and the complexities retail/wholesale involves before you commit to it.
I’m not sure I want to purposely sell or just sell the extras that I don’t need. And I have experience with guppies, Oscar, chiclids, and at one point my pair of Bala sharks

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
most wild species of betta do not need to be in separate aquariums. In fact, most wild bettas can be kept in small shoals. It's only the splenden species and a few others that are recommend to be separated.

MD_Plants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm actually starting to think about getting 5 panda corys and seeing what happens with those. anyone agree or disagree?

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agreed. I would also suggest a group of endlers or something to fill out the top and breed them as well. or my fav, albino full red guppies!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom