What fish can become GloFish?

Oliver T.

Hello, so I’ve got a sort of strange question. I'm wanting to know what fish can become GloFish. Just recently they released a new creation called GloBettas and if there able to figure out a way to make Bettas glow than is there anything stopping them from making GloGoldfish? Or GloAngelfish? I feel like it would be interesting to find out what hurdles these scientists have to go through to release there next new product

Dewclaw83

Oliver T. said:
Hello, so I’ve got a sort of strange question. I'm wanting to know what fish can become GloFish. Just recently they released a new creation called GloBettas and if there able to figure out a way to make Bettas glow than is there anything stopping them from making GloGoldfish? Or GloAngelfish? I feel like it would be interesting to find out what hurdles these scientists have to go through to release there next new product
Egg laying fish!
They're introducing the fluorescing genes into embryos, so with egg laying fish, they can easily pluck them out and treat them. That's why you don't see any GloPlatys/Guppies/Mollys - livebearers would involve cutting the fish open to retrieve the embryo, then having to raise them artificially, or finding a way to implant them. Fish also have different types of pigment producing cells in their epithelial layer that you have to figure out how to affect with your insertions. Plus, I highly suspect that the company needs to find fish that have some kind of albino or cellophane layer varient in order for the natural pigments to not override the fluorescing protein/color. This is actually something I'm just beginning to look into for my senior thesis

(And I am just beginning to research this and discuss it with my genetics professor. What I say can and may be wrong - glofish does not make all their info public)

qldmick

I'm just glad their band in Australia.

Cody

I believe on a podcast I listened to recently they mentioned there are Glo Angels in Asia I believe. But I think they said they were illegal to import to the US.

While the glofiah look interesting, it’s not my personal cup of tea. I have a hard time cleaning my kids tank with her neon gravel and plants lol.

Latest threads

Top Bottom