What Fish Are These? Question 

LucyC

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hi! Just wandering what type of fish these are? They look similar but one has black spots by its eyes. I thought guppies maybe?

Fish 1
IMG_3613.JPG

IMG_3609.JPG

Fish 2
IMG_3608.JPG

IMG_3607.JPG

NanaT

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They look like guppies to me.

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They both look like female guppies to me.

Loetje

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years

Jimothy K

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
they look like a mosquitofish to me. (female)

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fish 1 is a female Gambusia (Mosquitofish), but fish 2 looks like a female Guppy. The black tear mark is clearly Gambusia, and the spotting in the dorsal doesn't appear on the second fish. If you look closely, you can see a difference in the shape of the head as well. Being with the Mosquitofish is why the tail is so torn up. If both were Mosquitofish, then both would have damage to the fins.

wrs2

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mosquito fish are savages. I had one infiltrate a tank of mine, nipped everyone's fins and then was a pain to catch, so after a month plus, I had to take all the hardscape and plants out to get rid of her, as she was terrorizing all my other fish! Catch and remove her ASAP.

Guppygirl88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
wrs2 said:
Mosquito fish are savages. I had one infiltrate a tank of mine, nipped everyone's fins and then was a pain to catch, so after a month plus, I had to take all the hardscape and plants out to get rid of her, as she was terrorizing all my other fish! Catch and remove her ASAP.
Fish are not savages they are just animals- I've kept these before - you can find them in all the streams here in Ky. They are as nippy as a full grown female guppy and get about as big but I wouldn't call them killers they are pretty in their own way but they do their best work outside Do Not Fear Fish

Casper&Mushu

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Guppygirl88 said:
Fish are not savages they are just animals- I've kept these before - you can find them in all the streams here in Ky. They are as nippy as a full grown female guppy and get about as big but I wouldn't call them killers they are pretty in their own way but they do their best work outside Do Not Fear Fish
Fish are not simply animals, they are a way of life.
For some you should fear fish, they can be small and harmless, but they can also be dangerous like Pufferfish and Triggerfish.

To answer the first post, they are both female guppies, they look dull so they may be stressed.

Guppygirl88

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Casper&Mushu said:
Fish are not simply animals, they are a way of life.
For some you should fear fish, they can be small and harmless, but they can also be dangerous like Pufferfish and Triggerfish.

To answer the first post, they are both female guppies, they look dull so they may be stressed.
The wide black line on the female in the front probably comes to a point at the jaw this is an identifying characteristic of a female Gambusia

Z7What

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mosquito Fish for sure! I have 11 Females, 1 Male & 3 Peppered Corys and they are all great tank mates.

Wayne

Donovan Jones

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The first is definitely a gambusia as others have said and I'd be willing to bet as well that the second is either a female endler or wild type guppy

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom