What Fish Are These ?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by Hagarfamily, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Hagarfamily

Hagarfamily New Member Member

These fish came with a 90 gallon tall aquarium we bought for our sons community tank. We moved them to an 125 gallon aquarium that was empty fish wise but was set up to start a new Cichlid tank. I would like help identifying them. I think they're some sort of cichlid, catfish and pleco. There is also what I think is a spotted cat fish but he hides and is very very fast, so I couldn't get a picture.

Attached Files:

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

Albino Peacock cichlid, 4343...Almost looks like a jewel cichlid, but i'm not sure for 4344, 4345 is some sort of auratus cichlid, I'm not sure on 4346 but some sort of catfish, and 4347 is a common pleco from the looks of it.

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

4. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!
    For the first photo (4343)I believe he is an albino (red eye) zebra mbuna malawi african cichlid or an albino peacock
    2 (4344)looks like a jewel cichlid to me, they have the two distinct spots. However, they are usually quite colorful (don't worry tho,some aren't as pretty)
    3 (4345)= auratus (aka golden mbuna, golden cichlid, Malawi golden cichlids)
    4 (4346)=striped Raphael catfish (platydoras armatulus)
    5 (4347)=might be a common, but I'm thinking a leopard pleco (based on photo); he has very distinct spots to him

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    Hagarfamily

Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it. I'm off to read more about these fish. There is 2 of the common pleco/ Leopard pleco (4347)&(4352). Is it ok to leave them in the same tank? What about with all the catfish ? There was also an albino African clawed frog (almost positive) but my husband let him in the other aquarium. Any advice with him ? (4354)

I was able to finally get a picture of this one. (4351) Any ideas ?

Attached Files:

6. KinsKicks

Hello!
    Just to start off, he is a spotted catfish (aka pictus cat) and you have a white african frog (not that big of a deal, albinos have red eyes= clarification purposes :p)
    Two plecos in your 90 gal is okay, but they can get territorial when they are older, or they may not have a preference. It'll all boil down to how large they are and their personalities, and this includes the catfish as well. If the pleco are docile (as they generally are), they most likely wont bother your catfish. Aggression of plecos, in general, is bad anyhow and should be removed. Additionally, if the plecos are significantly larger than your catfish, but are peaceful, then it is like a giant vs ant situation; they just wont realize the implication of their size on smaller fishy friends. The raphael catfish can grow to 7-7.5" and the spotted to about 6", so if they do well and live to a good size, the pleco accidentally "squashing" (for the lack of a better term) them will diminish. But lots of hiding spots and room to swim always help remedy any size issue!

Oh, and for the frog, its probably best to keep him out of your 90, unless it is long and shallow (which i'm assuming it isn't). He'll probably get squashed as well (they don't get big :( ) Frogs need air as well and aren't the greatest of swimmers...you don't want him struggling to get a breath when he needs one. (if you need more frog advice, you can ask or find the thread about their care)

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    Hagarfamily

Ok. Thank you.

We have a 130 gallon aquarium that all the fish listed are in except for the frog.

The frog along with glow fish and Mickey Mouse fish (my 2 year old picked out) are in a tall 90 gallon.

I will have to read up on the frog to see if it would be better to put him in his own aquarium or move him into the 130 gallon.

8. KinsKicks

Hello!

Thanks for the clarification!
    The 130 gallon should be fine for all of them, as long as they aren't aggressive.
    And yes, I would recommend getting the frog a more shallow tank. (The best analogy that I could think of is you are sitting at the bottom of the forty (unrealistic I know ) foot pool and you suddenly need air and have to swim all the way up. eeek!)

9. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would rehome the two common plecos.

The 4351 image is a Pimelodus pictus.
    They should be kept in groups.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice