What fish are safe to keep with Freshwater Crabs?

americanninja

I've always enjoyed watching crabs interact with their surroundings. I would love to add one or two freshwater crabs to my tank (red claw crab, fiddler crab), but not sure if it's a good idea. Can someone please share their experience and what's safe to have as tank mates.

Right now I have 2 large blood parrots, a green terror, and a lace catfish in the tank. Would it be safe to add a red claw of fiddler crab? Would it be safe for both the fish AND the crab?

I don't want to risk having the crab attack or damage the fish, so I thought I would ask the question here with you great folks!

Ghelfaire

Fiddler crabs will need brackish water when they get older, your fish are all freshwater.
Your fish are also quite big and may treat the crab as a snack.

I reccomend a separate tank for the crab(s)

americanninja

But is there any risk to the fish? Such as the crab attacking or nipping them at night when sleeping on the bottom? I would want them to eat the crab, but I’d be fine to put one in the tank to see how it goes. If nature plays out, so be it, and then I know my answer. I’m more concerned about the risk to the fish (if there is such a risk). I’ve been lucky with these cichlids as they are not aggressive. I’ve had platys in this tank and they left them alone, so I was thinking to try a crab. Plenty of place for him to hide in the tank as well.

I would greatly appreciate any advice people can share regarding the risk to the fish. Thanks!

Ghelfaire

The crab will 100% do whatever is necessary to survive.
But what you're proposing is 100% not fair to the crab. Like I said it needs brackish water, it's not a freshwater crab like stores claim them to be.

americanninja

Okay, how about red claw crab, are these freshwater or brackish water crabs? I can always move the crab into another tank if I see that the fish are thinking its food as opposed to friend. I've had decent luck with the fish in this tank so far when introducing new fish that I thought could be considered food and shouldn't be placed with them (e.g. platys and blood parrots), so it has worked thus far and there is always a plan B.

So of course, if the crab is being attacked he will defend himself at which point I will rehome him. My question is quite simple though, I want to know if HE will be the terror. Do I need to be concerned if he will decide to treat my fish in the tank as a food source and try to eat them while they sleep. You haven't really responded to this question. And it's okay, if you are not sure, I welcome anyone else to chime in on this thread. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks to all in advance!

Roman96

Okay, how about red claw crab, are these freshwater or brackish water crabs? I can always move the crab into another tank if I see that the fish are thinking its food as opposed to friend. I've had decent luck with the fish in this tank so far when introducing new fish that I thought could be considered food and shouldn't be placed with them (e.g. platys and blood parrots), so it has worked thus far and there is always a plan B.

So of course, if the crab is being attacked he will defend himself at which point I will rehome him. My question is quite simple though, I want to know if HE will be the terror. Do I need to be concerned if he will decide to treat my fish in the tank as a food source and try to eat them while they sleep. You haven't really responded to this question. And it's okay, if you are not sure, I welcome anyone else to chime in on this thread. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks to all in advance!
They are also brackish and both crabs mentioned need access to land.

Pfrozen

There are pure freshwater crabs like the freshwater pom pom crab or panther crab but it would be a gamble keeping them with cichlids

americanninja

There are pure freshwater crabs like the freshwater pom pom crab or panther crab but it would be a gamble keeping them with cichlids
That's helpful! Thanks Pfrozen. I was not aware of those two crabs, I will do some research on them. Thanks again!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Demeterite
Replies
Views
octopanda
Replies
Views
TheCrabMan
Replies
Views