What fish are good to put with Ghost Shrimp?

GhostShrimpBreeder
I would like a list of the fish please!

tkfury
Pretty much anything that isn't big enough to eat them or small enough to be eaten by them (just fry pretty much). My zebra danios never bothered them when they were in a 10 gallon together and the store keeps them with their guppies ... when they have them. I believe any of the smaller schooling fish should be okay with them. I'd look into what you could place in a 10 gallon first then narrow the list down with who is combatible with the shrimp.

lilsoccakid
mine are with all the fish in my sig

tan.b
I had them with:
rainbows
tetras
guppies
mollies
danios
bn pleco
rasboras

as said before, they will eat fry (although they never bothered my guppy fry), and big fish may eat shrimp, although I couldnt tell you what!

Blub
Hi!

If you intend on breeding, I'd say only shrimp. Otherwise, peaceful fish liek the ones suggested.

sirdarksol
No reason to keep them only shrimp if you're breeding. I am very successfully breeding shrimp in a molly tank. The mollies tend not to bother the baby shrimp, and any shrimp that do get eaten were likely sickly anyway. The mollies are doing me the favor of culling the really undesirable shrimp out of the horde.
Herbivores, in particular are good choices.
Two fish that will not work, despite the fact that they are small, are bettas and dwarf puffers. Bettas will eat your shrimp when the shrimp are molting, and dwarf puffers have beaks that are strong enough to cut straight through a shrimp's exoskeleton.

Blub
No reason to keep them only shrimp if you're breeding. I am very successfully breeding shrimp in a molly tank. The mollies tend not to bother the baby shrimp, and any shrimp that do get eaten were likely sickly anyway. The mollies are doing me the favor of culling the really undesirable shrimp out of the horde.
Hi!

I've been reading on - it says the only fish 100% safe that they know of right now is the Oto. For breeding - it says don't put them with other fish but otos, as the tiny babies will be eaten. Adults not intended for breeding should be fine with a decent selection of fish - although you might not see them as much!

sirdarksol
Like I said, I am breeding shrimp, have them in with mollies, see them plenty, and they certainly are breeding. I'm sure a few shrimp have been eaten, but if you provide hiding places, it shouldn't be an issue. The only babies that are eaten are the weak or the stupid, which don't make good breeding stock, anyway.
Other members have done the same thing with similar results.

Blub
Like I said, I am breeding shrimp, have them in with mollies, see them plenty, and they certainly are breeding. I'm sure a few shrimp have been eaten, but if you provide hiding places, it shouldn't be an issue. The only babies that are eaten are the weak or the stupid, which don't make good breeding stock, anyway.
Other members have done the same thing with similar results.
Hi!

I know that... Just what I've been reading. You would probably see an increase in your shrimp stock - not only bad ones - if the Mollies wheren't around, but they still breed in there.

sirdarksol
Mollies (my mollies at least) won't eat any shrimp, no matter how small, unless they are barely capable of movement. They take their herbivorous status very seriously.

Blub
Mollies (my mollies at least) won't eat any shrimp, no matter how small, unless they are barely capable of movement. They take their herbivorous status very seriously.
Hi!

I always thought mollies where omnivores - who are mainly herbivorous!

tan.b
i'm not sure, but I thought all fish were omnivores. even a pleco will eat a dead fish, and most other fish will have a go at a dying fish. also fish flakes usually contain some fish protein to simulate their natural diet.

susitna-flower
I have cherry red shrimp in a tank with platies and mollies. They have never been bothered. I can't say about ghost shrimp. I thought ghost shrimp eggs had to be raised in salt water. So are you asking which salt water fish they can be in with?

sirdarksol
Ghost shrimp are the only planktonic shrimp that can grow in full freshwater (at least, according to petshrimp.com) They only spend a very short time (as little as a couple of hours) as plankton, and they spend this in the substrate, or plants (the Java moss that works so well with the Amano shrimp would also work with ghost shrimp), rather than floating around.

Blub
i'm not sure, but I thought all fish were omnivores. even a pleco will eat a dead fish, and most other fish will have a go at a dying fish. also fish flakes usually contain some fish protein to simulate their natural diet.
Hi!

Most plecos are omnivores (Some like Queen arabesque's are carnivorous!), BN's like 10% Meat 90% Veg.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
shadowfish
Replies
Views
2211Nighthawk
Replies
Views
Secret Oasis
  • Question
Replies