What Filters

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Bettaeverything, Apr 24, 2018.

1. BettaeverythingValued MemberMember

What is better? A sponge filter or a HOB filter? Some people say that HOB is better. Suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. Iridium_2256Valued MemberMember

HOBs have a high flow, mechanical and biological filtration. Sponge filters have a low flow(besides the bubble from the top) and only biological filtration. They work better for different purposes. A sponge filter works well for fry, medical and betta tanks, while an HOB will work well for any other application

3. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

I use and like both, each suit different purposes. More like an apples and oranges comparison vs one being better then the other. Only advantage an hob has is the ability to add carbon to pull out meds....

4. Mike1995Well Known MemberMember

i use a sponge for my betta and in the past my guppy fry. really good option for fish that don't like high flow. I've found they take awhile to cycle if you're doing it in a new tank.

5. Redshark1Well Known MemberMember

Apples are best.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice