What Filter? 55 Gallon Tank

1. PedroThePie Member Member

I'm planning a 55 gallon betta sorority tank. Wondering if theres a filter out there that is suitable for a 55 gallon AND won't be creating too much of a current for the betta fish.

Open to canister or HOB, and price of hopefully below 100. I think HOB shouldn't go over that, but a canister might.

Would having two smaller filters on both ends be a better idea, or not worth it?

Side note, opinions on heaters? I've always stuck to the eheim, but I've heard about some recent faults with them

2. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

Canister will cost a pretty penny, though better. If your looking for something under a $100 i probably go with a HOB, like an Aquaclear. All you have to do is make sure that it can handle 55g+.

3. twilysparklez Well Known Member Member

The SunSun canisters are pretty good. They come with spraybars so you can adjust how the water flows.

4. xapoc Member Member

5. twilysparklez Well Known Member Member

6. xapoc Member Member

7. Fish-whisper Member Member

Female bettas can handle current much better than the males and since they love plants (you will have plants ?) they can find their calm resting spots. The SunSun canisters are the sweet spot for the $. I wouldn't be so sure the UV models are effective, just MO. I don't like HOB with high flow rates because they don't have the bio media surface area to match the flow rate. If I were to use HOB on that tank I would not settle for less than the Fluval/Hagen Aquaclears that xapoc suggest, you can add good bio media to them. I would run one Aquaclear 50 (200 GPH) on each end of the tank instead of 1 110 (500GPH) model.

I have two betta sorority tanks 29gal & 40gal breeder. I use an Eheim 2217 on the 40 and medium size TopFin canister on the 29, bettas can handle the current with ease.

8. RyanLewis Member Member

I hear the seachem tidal 50 is really good and has adjustable flow