What Filter To Use For Betta Tank

betta5

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently switch from keeping fresh water puffers to betta. So my tank is fully cycled. I have 10 gal tank with a tank divider(Penn Plax divider bought from petsmart) and keeping two betta fishes at the moment. I have a power filter and the water current seems too strong for one side of the divider and no water movement at all for the other side. So I am thinking about switching the filter to undergravel filter, but have no experience with the UG filter. I also read some posts suggesting sponge filters.

So please give me some suggestions on what to do so that the current won't be too strong and proper water flow on both side of the divider. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ken

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Undergravel Filters are not recommended as all they basically do is pull the sludge down into the gravel and below and keep it down there turning into disease causing bacteria. The sponge filters would be great for Bettas. They do not like to have a lot of movement in the water and at the same time it would add some oxygen to the water and remove the need to have an additional airstone. If you had one for each end of the tank it would be perfect. I know that you really would only need one for the whole tank but if you are going to use them to add oxygen it is really a good idea to have one for each betta. It is also okay to use the same airpump and so all you would have to add is a t connector to the airline and a second line to the other filter. The sponge filters are very reasonalble and are actually quite attractive and easy to cover behind some nice plants. I loved mine but the tanks I got had their own filters so I discontinued their use but they are the greatest and my little guys were very happy with them. I may change back to them one of these days and just do without the bio-wheels. It really would make life easier.

Rose

betta5

Reaction score
Thanks Rose, I will check out sponge filters. One more quick question. Will sponge filters do all three filteration(bio, chemical and mechanical filteration) effectively?

diva, the divider is see through. I could only find see through one as well.

Ken.

divakeeks

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That's what I thought. I'm just going to have to make my own then :) (((Sorry ...I'm done topic stealing now!)))

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It does not do chemical filtration as it does not use carbon, but carbon is only really used to remove medications in the tank so you would only need a small filter to use carbon in for your hospital tank or quarantine tank where you will be medicating a fish or a small internal filter and only use it when you are removing meds for a few hours. Something on this order:

There are many models, price ranges and examples of this type of filter. These are just a couple of examples. Like I said I would only be using this filter for a few hours to remove the medication so it would basically only be a housing unit for the carbon cartridge for a while and then would be cleaned up and stored until needed again. The biological and mechanical filtration would always be dependent on the Sponge filters. I know this may not seem like the perfect arrangement but as a matter of fact, just today I made the decision to convert all my tanks to just exactly this set-up as the motors are causing me a temperature problem. So I will be going to exactly to this plan with the extra carbon filter to be on the order of the second one listed since I already own it, but the first one would probably be a more appropriate choice for someone not already owning the second as the carbon filters for the second have to be handmade or are quite expensive.

Rose

betta5

Reaction score
thanks rose, I just bought two sponge filter and they are running good, my bettas are very happy and the current doesnt seem strong.

divakeeks,

If you want non-see-through divider, buy some plastic canvas from craft store and use them instead, I am now using plastic canvas and my bettas dont flare as much any more, seems like they cannot see through the holes much. and the water flow much better too(I think).

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think you will have the added benefit of the Bettas loving the bubbles. They do love bubbles. As far as the craft plastic goes, it is a very good idea. Let us know how they take to it.

Rose

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom