10 Gallon Tank what filter to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkman262

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Red Sea Nano Filter? Never owned it but have heard good things (being used on a 5g though, not sure about a 10g). The filter flow should should low enough that it doesn't stress out the betta.

steed1172

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
a nano filter for a 10G isn't optimal, but it is only one fish, plus as funkman said, they don't care too much for alot of flow.
although one could get a sponge filter i hear good things about them, great for bio filtering, some mechanical filtration, and not much flow!... or you could get one recommended for 10(or near 10) and diffuse the flow. but as a HOB filter the nano is probably your best bet, a decent flow but doesn't seem to bother bettas (as shown by my sister's betta, Leroy that lived for quiet a few years with it. RIP)

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've never used one so I am just going on what the product specs say and the red sea nano is recommended for tanks up to 3 gallon. I'd be worried that it would not generate enough flow to cope with a 10 gallon, even if it is lightly stocked. What about on Aqua Clear 20? They still have flow control so you can turn it down if it bothers your Betta.

Last edited:

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I would recommend an Aqua Clear 20 @ 100gph for your 10g tank. It has a flow control and you can add a sponge, cut to fit, to the outflow area to reduce the flow even more. I have one on my 6.6g bookshelf tank for my Betta Wriggley. No issues at all. He's not blown around the tank and he's out and about a lot, all over the tank. So he isn't disturbed by the flow at all.

Ken

Last edited:

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I agree with the others who recommended getting an AquaClear.

If you're considering running flow control full-time which most do with betta's (and given a 10g tank), I'd consider an AC30 (with the AC20 also of course being an option). I'd prefer the 50gph the 30 would give on full flow control for a 10g tank and if placing a sponge over the intake (which most would recommend), the flow will be lessened a bit more. Also, the media inserts for the AC30 will be slightly larger thus more surface area for beneficial bacteria.

And if needing to reduce the flow further for any reason ... you can simply install an AC20 impeller in the AC30 as they share the same motor (as does the AC50), while retaining the slightly larger media capacity.

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
For a Betta tank I would use a smaller filter, like the Tetra Whisper designed for 5gal tanks or even a simple sponge filter, like the Hagen Elite sponge filter (or two of the ones designed for fry tanks).

I keep my Bettas in somewhat "still" tanks. They tend to stress out with even moderate currents. At least that's what my limited experience and observations tell me.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

brokenwing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
i would go with the others on a aqua clear filter, you cant beat them. You can lower the flow and the betta will do great.

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The aqua clears are great... but isn't a 50 or 30 a little over kill for a 10 gallon with one betta?
Some folks run filters @ 100gph on their 10g betta tanks with no problems. It really depends on the individual fish. With the flow control fully engaged ... the 30 = 50gph and the 50 = 66gph. Putting a sponge over the intake will lessen the flow a bit more.

kuhliLoachFan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
One benefit of the aquaclear with the outflow turned ALL The way DOWN is that you get minimal disturbance to your betta, huge surface area on the sponge for biofilter, and your water cycles 3-4 times INSIDE the filter, so you are very confident it is well filtered before it returns to the tank.

I love my aquaclears. The only other filter I would consider is an eheim cannister, for larger tanks. For a 10g, the AC 50g size is perfect. Don't get the smaller than AC50 models.

W

ccb04

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Here's one way of looking at it.....

I've run an AC20 on a 5g betta tank with no problems. Flow control was fully engaged so the filter was running at 33gph.

With a 10g we of course would have twice the volume of the 5g. An AC50 set on full flow control is running at 66gph ... which is exactly double that of the AC20's 33gph.

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Some folks run filters @ 100gph on their 10g betta tanks with no problems. It really depends on the individual fish. With the flow control fully engaged ... the 30 = 50gph and the 50 = 66gph. Putting a sponge over the intake will lessen the flow a bit more.
Makes sense. I have a betta in a 5.5 and he gets stuck to my filter which is only rated for 10 gph so I worry about him. I guess it depends on the fish.

pinksprklmonkey

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Do you need a filter or could you just use an air stone and air pump?
I'd say no. It's better to have a filter than either an air stone or an air pump. I don't think an air pump is necessary unless it's a larger tank that needs the circulation, but not for the smaller ones. It's very important to have filtration. And as I think has been said (can't remember if it was in this thread or another) an air stone is for aeration in the water which is important in 80 + temperatures. Hope that helps. :;z

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 71 68.3%

Top Bottom