What filter should I buy next? 75 Gallon Community tank.

1. big ounce Initiate Member

I currently have a 75 gallon community tank that well stocked with. Tetras, Dwarf Gouramis, Platys, Guppies, Cory Catfish etc.
    For filtration I have an Eheim 2215 rated at 164 gph which I'm aware is not enough filtration for that tank. I'm shopping for a new filter to add to the tank. What would be a good option? I'm torn between the Aquaclear 70 ($40) and the Aquaclear 110 ($80). Would the Aquaclear 70 be enough? I'm thinking of using the AC70 for mostly Mechanical filtration and the Eheim for mostly Biological filtration since the 70 moves more water.

2. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

How long has the tank been fully established, and are you experiencing any problems with excessive Nitrates Etc.
    The reason I ask these questions, is that if the filter is, and has been performing well, why would you want to change ?
    OK, your flow rates through the filter may be slow in your opinion at just over 2 times, but I believe a slower flow rate through a filter is more beneficial than a fast flow rate, due to the longer contact time in the filter, thus enabling a better processing of the water.
    Just something for you to think about

3. aHumanBeing Well Known Member Member

I vote to add another 2215 or a 2217. I've personally got dual 2217's in my 75 gallon and it's pretty nice. If you point both spray bars opposing each other then there is kind of a vortex in the middle. I'm not sure if that would be enjoyable for your fish or not but my goldies don't care. Alternatively you could have both spray bars on one side and create quite a nice strong current for the fishies to pretend it's a river.

But mostly I think another canister would be great to keep the silence you probably already have. If you go with an HOB then you will definitely notice an increase in volume (don't know if that matters to you.)

4. big ounce Initiate Member

The tank has been running for about 5 months. Everything has been good but recently added fish the I got a Nitrite reading for the first time in awhile. And I also lost 2 Mollies and a Guppy the same week I added the new fish. Mollies were new but the Guppy was not. This prompted me to test water and got .50 Nitrite reading. BB may need to adjust to the bio load but I would also like to get rid of some dead spots. The tank seems stagnant with the low water movement.

You make a great point. It's just a that I can't afford another Eheim. Unless it was something like a 2213. I only use Eheim Canister filters.

5. asteele19 Member Member

I would go with the aquaclear 110. Its hard to beat for the price

6. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

I ran an 80g which included discus fish for many years using a Eheim 2217 and an AC70 with great results. If I were given a 110 to use in that time I would have made the upgrade but the two I had worked fine. I'm a real fan of both these filters, Eheim for canister and AC's for HOB's. I run sump systems only now but if your not ready for it then these filters would be great considering your budget.

7. Thai Aquarium owner Well Known Member Member

The problem may be that you have added a larger number of fish to the tank than the filter could cope with.
    This does not mean the filter is useless, only that you added too many fish.
    Also losing the fish, if they were not removed from the tank promptly upon their demise, then a spike in Ammonia could occur.