What filter is good?

fishdude5000

im stuck between the tidal series, aquaclear, and marineland biowheel filters ?!?!? idk which one to get ahhh!!!

FishDin

I've had both and liked the aqua clear better. It's been about ten years since I replaced them with canister filters and I don't recall why I liked one over the other. I do recall that they both worked fine for me.

Bwood22

I like the Tidal personally. The Aqua clear can be a bit noisy if you don't get a good one.
They are both great filters.

But so is an airstone shoved into a media bag full of pumice stone.

SotaAquatics

ACs can last forever. I am using Tidals right now, I love the self priming.

RayClem

One of the selling points for the Seachem Tidal filter is the skimmer at the surface. In a saltwater aquarium, that is quite useful. In a freshwater aquarium, I see that as less usefuil and, perhaps a disadvantage. If the water level drops too low, you can lose suction. Also if you have shrimp, baby fish, tiny snails, etc., they can get sucked into the filter more easily. You can always use a sponge prefilter on the filter intake tube to prevent them from being sucked into the filter.

I have been using Aquaclear filters for about 40 years. I had one that lasted me around 20 years. No other filter I have tried has come close to being that reliable.

Aquaclear is sold in the States by Fluval. There is also the Fluval C-series filters which look interesting. They have a different internal media setup than Aquaclear, but otherwise, they appear to be similar. I have not tried one, but they look interesting.

I have a love-hate relationship with the Aqueon Quietflow filters. I like that the motor is underwater making it quiet. However, the impeller bushings can easily fall out. Trying to find the bushing at the bottome of a planted tank is a royal pain. I do like the ability to use special media pads in the outflow of the filter. I like cutting pieces of BioMarine PolyFilter to fit the slots, but you can use carbon pads, phosphate removal pads, nitrate removal pads, etc. as needed.

theUMP

im stuck between the tidal series, aquaclear, and marineland biowheel filters ?!?!? idk which one to get ahhh!!!
TIDAL all the way baby... self-starting and very quiet. Sicce makes the best submersible pumps in the world.Very easy to maintain and hotrod with your favorite filter and media components. They provide great water flow. I switched from running two Fluvals to one Tidal and one Hygger Sponge filter in my 55-gallon tanks. I own 2 Tidal-75...did I mention they are self-priming?!!! My Lemon Pleco pair had babies. Some ended up in the filter and because of the design, they did not go through the pump and they all lived.( I have a prefilter sponge). Some made it through the surface skimmer another great feature and that may affect your choice if it's a breeding tank or you host very small fishies.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
skar
  • Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
Replies
Views
KribensisLover1
Replies