What Filter Is Good For Goldfish In A 50-60 Gallon Tank?

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you're going with fancies, you could have more.

If they are a long bodied type goldfish, do not put them in this tank.

johnbetta

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
aqua clear exturnal filter with a spray bar gold fish are messie eaters a good strong filter how big is the tank mate keep in mind gold fish get big around 35 cm

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you want something specific, I’d look at the Eheim Classic 600 (2217). It does 264gph.

You could also try the Eheim 300, as the very minimum. It pumps 164gph. I wouldn’t go anything less than that.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I wouldn’t have the comet in there. It will outgrow the aquarium.

If the tank is 50 gallons, go with 4 fancies.

If it’s 60 gallons, go with 5 fancies.

Then, use the filtration recommendations above.

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
This might not be the appropriate place to ask about this, but I've heard that a lot of people use a couple large sponge filters with their fancy goldfish to provide a lower current in the tank. How exactly would one go about doing this?

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
JLeeM said:
This might not be the appropriate place to ask about this, but I've heard that a lot of people use a couple large sponge filters with their fancy goldfish to provide a lower current in the tank. How exactly would one go about doing this?
Since fancies produce a lot of waste, a lot more gravel vacs would be needed to keep the tank clean.

blueangelfish

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
The tank isn't for me, my friend has a comet goldfish already but their 30 gallon broke.So then they put it in a 1 gallon bowl and i took it home to fix her up and help her recover from her ammonia posioning. I didn't keep her in a gallon bowl of course but moved her into a 6 gallon which i know is still too small. But the goldfish is still small and it was only temporary. So now she's going to be upgraded to a bigger tank with another goldfish to keep her company.

HaileStorm

Valued Member
Reaction score
I would highly recommend Seachem's Tidal series if you're looking into HOB's. For canisters, Eheim Classic series.

I run a Tidal 55 on my 23g along with a newly purchased Eheim Classic 250. I have to say that my Tidal sucks in more debris than my Eheim.

That could depend on the intake placement though. But side to side, the Tidal HOB sucks in more debris than my Eheim does. Could be because of the Tidal's multiple intakes (4 in total) but also could also be because the Tidal has more gph than my Eheim which lags behimd due to the amount of media inside the canister.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom