What Filter For 500 GPH Filtration

Betta02

Reaction score
Hi all, I have two Black Moor babies that will be upgrading to a bigger tank, and I will need a new filter. Recommendations are for 10 times per hour, so on a 55 gallon tank that would be 550 gallons/hour. What filter do you guys recommend?

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you want a hang on back filter I would look at the Marineland or Aqua Clear filters. I would go with two filters for optimal performance, redundancy and maintenance ease. You can stagger the cleanings and not have to worry as much about mini cycles. They both make some high flow models.

With any filter you assume the flow will be less than rated just because of natural restrictions in the media and intake. I’ve heard when they rate filters it’s just the flow at the pump so it doesn’t account for the loss. That’s why you hear the rule of 8-10x because your assuming it will be a bit less

If you wanted to go with a canister filter you do not have to shoot for 10x as they typically have better flow and hold much more media than a HOB is the end to me more “effiecient”. ople recommend getting a canister rated for 4-6x your tank due to that.

I have not personally tried a canister yet but I’m considering it in the future. Some say the maintenance is a little but more complicated due to the disassembly compared to the HOB. But you will clean it less frequently as well so in reality it’s probably a wash from a time stand point.

For canisters I see people on here recommend Fluvals, Eheim Classics and SunSun a lot.

Hopefully that helps a bit!

definitely with those fish though shoot for as much filtration as you can afford!

LifeGivesYouLemonOscars

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well you'd need 2 FX6's to cover that but did you think about the water flow? Black moors are slow swimmers and the filtration rate you're speaking of will probably end up killing them because they'd be pretty stressed out all the time. I personally would just go with 2 large sponge filters with air stones and do 30% water changes I'd think you'd be fine plus would save you $600. Bare bottom would be best bet so you can vacuum up all the waste. If really wanted to use an inch or 2 of pool filter sand so the poop don't penetrate. Just my opinion.

Check out Solid Gold Aquatics on YouTube. She has all the info on her channel you need

HitzBlack

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
2 Fx6’s would be overkill. One FX4 would be sufficient. It’s good for up to a 200g tank at 700gph. I would recommend a spray bar as flow coming out the outlet would be way too strong for a 55g tank. Didn’t look where you are locate, but Petsmart will have 50% off sales on them throughout the year

LifeGivesYouLemonOscars

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No its not. The manufacturers post those numbers by what the pump can cycle. That doesn't include the length of hose and how far it has to travel vertically. Then there's all the filter media it has to pass threw. After all of that then it has to push threw a when the media gets dirty.

By the way there's no such thing as overkill when It comes to filtration

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I won’t disagree about over filtration but two FX6s on a 55 seems a little extreme. Rated at 925 GPH, even cutting that in half to account for head loss your talking a TON of flow for 2 FX6’s

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I think the __x turnover rate for __ filters and __ tanks is highly over rated. You can fill in the blanks with all sorts of numbers.

Many hobbyists and the majority of fish breeders with multiple tanks run only sponge filters, with an occasional HOB as supplemental filtration.

For purely biological filtration, to large sponge filters and a decent air pump would suffice. All the turnover rate talk I believe stems from mechanical filtration, the ability for the filters to suck up detritus and uneaten fish food.

For example, we have a 55g filled with 15 mbuna, 2 peacocks and a juvenile Syndontis. It's got a rather large bio-load and I have a Hydor 600 canister on it. Hydor rates it at around 345gph at the pump and around 265gph with water flowing through trays of media and the intake/discharge hoses (numbers could be off). It probably flows less with layers of foam sponge I have loaded in 3 of the 5 baskets. This canister is more than enough for both mechanical and biological filtration and even with an overstocked African cichlid tank, it really doesnt need 10x or 550gph of flow in my opinion.

A good balance between mechanical and biological filtration would be a pair of large coarse foam sponge filters driven by a decent air pump (Fluval Q1, Whisper 100, Eheim 200, etc) and a large HOB. A Penguin 350 (or the new Penguin 375 Pro) or an Aquaclear 70 or 110 paired with some sponge filters would be a good option and there would be more than enough filtration.

Even 1 or 2 $30 Top Fin Silentstream 75 filters paired with sponge filters would work well for example . I've got the larger Top Fin Silentstream that came on their 55g kit and was placed on our 65g. The right side reservoir has a foam sponge block from an Aquaclear 110 cut and made to fit. The left side reservoir has a large bag of cycled bio-media that came from another tank.

20200412_135358.jpg

20200412_135409.jpg

There are tons of options out there to choose from.

My main point is to not get too caught up on the gph and turnover rate.

HitzBlack

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I was mainly pointing out the fact that 2 FX6‘s would be a bit much for a 55 gallon tank. The flow coming out of the FX4 was too much for my 75 gallon. I had to go to a 3 section spray bar

LifeGivesYouLemonOscars

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok... the question was what filtration to use to make sure the tank cycled 500 times per hour. That's actually a lot. Nothing the manufacturer says is accurate. If you read the fine print the number is for the pump itself. The way i set up my filters is more beefed up than factory. I fill the entire center baskets with bio media and double up sponges on the outside. So I max out the filter. So I cut 60% of the flow or better out of the filter in my opinion including waste buildup in my number. This i just what I do soni can only speak as to what I do. How ever I did mention the strong flow for the particular fish there keeping and suggested 2 larg sponge filters.

Islandvic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I wasn't discounting how over filtration is a good thing. I could remove any one random filter from one of our tanks, and the tank would still have more than adequate filtration.

The 55g African tank I referred to earlier not only has the Hydor canister, but also an Aquaclear 70 a member on the forum gave me and a double stacked sponge filter.

Extra filtration is not 100% required, but it definitely helps. For example I had to take the Hydor out of service temporarily while waiting for replacement in/out valve taps under warranty. They should arrive in a couple of days. Hydor was extremely quick to reply to my inquiry and sent out the new set this past Friday. So the 55g has been doing just fine with the AC70 and double stacked sponge filter.

Extra filtration is also good when you need to set up quick and temporary quarantine/hospital tank. I cam remove a sponge filter and/or HOB from one of my tanks and throw it on an unused 20g tank or a plastic 50g livestock water trough stored in the garage. Having cycled filtration that can be removed and placed on something else in just a few minutes is great insurance when you want to QT new fish or remove a fish from main tank due to health reasons.

Cody

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think one thing we all mentioned and agree on is that
1. You can’t get hung up on GPH because it’s going to be overstated from the MFR but naturally something rated for a bigger tank is going to have better because it will have a larger pump and more room for media, the actual flow-who knows.
2. The other point is all about the media. Canisters will be superior because of sheer capacity to add media. But any HOB whether something high end or your standard kit filter, can do a good job with the right mods of sponges, filter floss or bio media as shown above.

So just get yourself something big and powerful and use the right media and it will work well!

EdDroid

Reaction score
You can get 500 GPH from a setup using two Fluval 407 filters. Each is rated 383 GPH and I figure an effective GPH of 250 each would be a realistic expectation I know that may be a high cost.

I now use 2 407's on a 75 gallon and am getting good results. I wanted 6x turnover.

New Threads