What Filter Do I Need??

FishFor2018
hello,
I have a 10 gallon tank with a betta 2 corydoras and 2 harlequin rasboras. My substrate is sand and I have live plants and some “driftwood” in there. My HOB filter has been getting sand in the cartridge recently and it just ripped open tonight. Sadly I have no cartridge for that type of filter and all the stores are closed . I wanted to know if I should get a new filter? If so what kind? Or should I just buy the cartridge’s
Thank you!

AJE
I would say just get another cartridge

david1978
With the cartridge style filters replacing the cartridges is un avoidable at some point. I prefer filters like the aquaclears with a sponge and bio rings. Or you can go the air pump and sponge filter route. Oh and they make small internal ones too. So you have lots of options, which route is best is subjective. Price wise it would go cartridge, sponge filter, internal filter then aquaclear.

FishGirl38
So, sand could cause worse problems, you should just replace the cartridge when the stores are open. However, you could also grab a 'filter bag' OR a regular AquaClear 10-20 filter sponge (I find these work better than other 'sponges') as a pre-filter to stop the sand from being sucked into the filter. Worse case scenario, the sand can get in the impeller well and stop the filter from running. (you'll clean out the impeller well inside the motor to fix it, but it could break).

Take a rubber band, and cut an appropriate sized section out of the mesh bag, fixatif the mesh over the filter intake and rubber band it to keep it in place.

Or, cut a hole in the middle of the AC 10 or 20 filter sponge, and stick that overtop of the filter intake. -Depending on how fine the sand is...this should help..

You'll have to keep the pre-filter clean, BUT, it'll stop your filter from being clogged with sand and broken leaves/ plant matter.

NavyChief20
Let me save you some money.....go get some lava rock and put it in your tank. In a week take that cartridge out and put the lava rock in your filter and throw away the cartridge. It is a useless aquarium industry gimmick. You won't ever have yo change the lava rock and you will save money and guess what your filter is now capable of a much higher bioload

FishFor2018
Let me save you some money.....go get some lava rock and put it in your tank. In a week take that cartridge out and put the lava rock in your filter and throw away the cartridge. It is a useless aquarium industry gimmick. You won't ever have yo change the lava rock and you will save money and guess what your filter is now capable of a much higher bioload
Okay. Thank You So Much! I will.

Bryangar
Here’s what I made. I cut off the sponge from the cartridge and added fluval canister sponges and used sewing thread to tie it on. It’s not the best looking but it works really good.

Attachments

• 99EC8BA1-F611-4419-B6B7-0F5689E0476D.jpeg
    99EC8BA1-F611-4419-B6B7-0F5689E0476D.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 70
AquaticJ
I’m surprised nobody has attacked you about your stocking lol.

NavyChief20 suggested what I would suggest.

jdhef
No one attacks people here...it's not allowed. But I think what AquaticJ meant was that you do appear to have some stocking issues if you care to discuss them.

NYFishGuy
I'm a believer in putting sponge on every intake, easy to cut to size and can use a pair of scissors to cut a X in the top where the intake tube will fit in.
Also easy to 'Hotrod' any cartridge HOB with standard sponge cut to size and lava rock or ceramic media on the top.
Just be careful not to compact and clog the HOB with media which will make it over flow.

20180529_095811.jpg

Blaze
I’m surprised nobody has attacked you about your stocking lol.

NavyChief20 suggested what I would suggest.
Stocking doesn't seem like an issue IMO it's a ten Gallon tank with 4 small fish. Cory cats should be fine with Bettas as long as they have places to hide right?

NYFishGuy
Stocking doesn't seem like an issue IMO it's a ten Gallon tank with 4 small fish. Cory cats should be fine with Bettas as long as they have places to hide right?

Standard response for ideal stocking would be cory's need a 30" long tank and school of 6, rasboras need a school as well.
From a purely bioload viewpoint it's fine.

Sophari
Hi,

So I’m planning on setting up a 60 litre species only dwarf puffer tank, that will be heavily planted. This is the tank I plan to use: Dennerle Nano Cube 60l Aquarium - Shrimp Tank - Pro Shrimp UK

I have found 3 filters which I think are okay, but am unsure as to which one to get. The key factors are:
- simplicity to set up
- easy to clean
- not a hassle to find replacement filter media/cartridges
- cannot cause problems re sucking fish
- aesthetics
- ultimately I care mostly for which is best in keeping the tank conditions stable for the puffers

The three potential filters are pictured below, as well as linked in the same order. (For filter number 2 I will need advice as to which one to get to suit the tank size)

1)

2)

3)

Anyone that can offer an insight into which filter would be best, or recommend a different one would be extremely helpful, thanks.

Attachments

• F60FE0BD-8A5A-484A-8C62-655607A117F3.png
    F60FE0BD-8A5A-484A-8C62-655607A117F3.png
    166.6 KB · Views: 71
  • 37BCBA4A-2328-4A7C-A754-8EDCE24EEE80.png
    37BCBA4A-2328-4A7C-A754-8EDCE24EEE80.png
    117.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 077EF446-E9A8-4EA2-B012-EF813500D8E8.png
    077EF446-E9A8-4EA2-B012-EF813500D8E8.png
    139.9 KB · Views: 79
AJE
What are you planning on stocking?

Sophari
What are you planning on stocking?
Definitely two DP’s but quite likely a third. Although probably nothing else, I’d like to have the possibility of adding something later down the line.

FrostedFlakes
Don't know what's best for puffers, but I swear by aquaclear. It's not a cartridge so you can remove things as you please, super easy to clean, and I've overall not had any issues. Also very silent. Sometimes I have to check if it's still on, but I add Vaseline to it because it made noise at first. After running for a while or an addition of a little Vaseline on the impeller it's like it isn't even there.

AJE
I wouldn’t do #2 just do to it holding less media

jacob thompson
I would honestly look into the fluval 106 canister filter. It will have a much better filtration capacity than any hang on the back filter you can get. As well as it’s very customizable and has a good gph to help with all the dwarf puffer waste. If you’re in the US I got mine on amazon for $59

Sophari
I wouldn’t do #2 just do to it holding less media
Okay, thanks. I’ll rule that one out of the list then. I’m leaning more towards the aqua clear I thin

Sophari
I would honestly look into the fluval 106 canister filter. It will have a much better filtration capacity than any hang on the back filter you can get. As well as it’s very customizable and has a good gph to help with all the dwarf puffer waste. If you’re in the US I got mine on amazon for $59
Hmm, I’m in the U.K. but I’m sure amazon will still have it for a good price. How big is the filter? I have very minimal space for anything outside of the tank so that’s why I was looking at ones that can hang on the back ideally.

jacob thompson
It’s 6”X6”X10” it has a max 145 gph

Sophari
Oh okay, so it’s not tooo big then. Thanks a bunch, I’ll look into getting that one!

Sophari
Suddenly having second thoughts... looking at the replacement parts list I’m thinking this is more complicated than I can manage /: I don’t know what any of those parts are (apart from the basic ones), what they do, or when they will need replacing

Attachments

• 773C2795-7EC6-47D9-B87C-DC74598EEBE9.png
    773C2795-7EC6-47D9-B87C-DC74598EEBE9.png
    347.5 KB · Views: 56
jacob thompson
I honestly couldn’t tell you what half of that is. They also have a 3 year warranty that covers break downs, they typically last years though. They are actually really simple and figured out how it worked just by looking inside. If you don’t want to go the canister filter route though. The aqua clear or the fluval hob filters are the ones I generally recommend.

Sophari
I honestly couldn’t tell you what half of that is. They also have a 3 year warranty that covers break downs, they typically last years though. They are actually really simple and figured out how it worked just by looking inside. If you don’t want to go the canister filter route though. The aqua clear or the fluval hob filters are the ones I generally recommend.
Ahah okay, I’ll go with that one then. Hoesntly thank you so much I want to make sure I get everything right for these sensitive buggers!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Gameynerd23
Replies
Views
sairving
Replies
Views
JayH
Replies