What filter do I choose?!?!?!?! 10 Gallon Tank

1. Danewguy Initiate Member

OK, I have a 10 gallon aquarium and I'm not sure what filter to use. I currently have the topfin power filter 10 but it isn't very good. I will be using my future filter with a sand substrate and I have 2 african dwarf frogs. I hope to add a male betta and live plants. Now, what new filter do I choose? I've narrowed it down to four filters. They are : Aqueon® QuietFlow Aquarium Power Filter 10.... MARINELAND® Penguin 100B Power Filter.... Aquaclear® Power Filter.... or the internal Fluval U1.
    you can find all these filters on this page,
    http://www.petsmart.com/fish/filters/cat-36-catid-300088?SearchParameter=%26%40QueryTerm%3D*%26CategoryUUIDLevelX%252FnfoKmUCQmRYAAAFD8RNUeFk3%252FVRgKmUCQ1EIAAAFD5j9UeFk3%2

I hope that some of you have had experience with these filters and may be able to help me choose the right one for my tank setting. Thanks!

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The only one of those filters I've used is the Fluval U1 & I think the flow will be too much for the betta.
    They're also bulky & don't have a great deal of space inside for media

3. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

I looked into housing a betta with African dwarf frogs last year and was advised not to for very good reasons.

I would recommend the marina S10 for either African dwarf frogs or a Betta. The flow is nice and gentle for them. My only caveat is that sometimes the two connecting the submerged motor can become loose. Teflon tape is an easy fix for that.

Replacement cartridges can be expensive, so I just use small filter bags around the old frames. You can stuff them with zeolite or carbon if you wish. Once you have enough beneficial bacteria, you can of course get away with just a sponge in there and rinsing it out in old tank water weekly. That is, as long as you don't lose control and start stuffing extra animals in there (so says the woman with lotsa and lotsa Endler's) ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Marina-A285-S10-Power-Filter/dp/B0032G8TPW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1404250798&sr=1-1&keywords=marina+s10

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Jomolager Well Known Member Member

You do not need strong flow for Betta. As endlercollector said, your male Betta does not need any roommates. 10G is a good size for Betta.

5. rsutoratosu Member Member

I use an azoo palm filter. Its 3" x 3-1/2" x 5" in size and has adjustable flow. I use it in my fry tank and it works well.

6. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I like the Marineland Penguin filters. They do a good job and have the bio-wheel for extra space for beneficial bacteria. Although I have not used them personally, Aquaclears are usually highly rated as well.

7. sbdzx Member Member

I've heard a lot of good things about Aquaclears, too, even though I've never used them. I don't know if the flow would be too much for the betta.... Have you considered a sponge filter at all? Might that be suitable?

8. Danewguy Initiate Member

I won't be getting a sponge filter, I think I'm either going to go with the aquaclear power filter 20 or the Fluval C2 Power filter, has anybody has used these filters or knows which one is better?

9. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

I've got an AC20 on my 10 gal betta tank, with a pre-filter sponge (for the shrimp), and the flow as low as it goes. I don't baffle it, but I do have a lot of plants, a betta log, and I keep the water level pretty high. He doesn't seem to mind the current, though you could always baffle it more if your betta is stressed.

I like AC's enough to have an AC30 and an AC50 working together on my 29 gal, and an AC30 on my 10 gal quarantine. I went with the tiny AC20 for the betta just for the current reduction, but you might have a harder time finding it in stores (my PetSmart assured me that there was no such filter in existence, so I got it on Amazon instead).