What Fertilizers Do You Recommend?

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by AJE, Mar 28, 2019.

1. AJE Fishlore VIP Member

What fertilizers do you recommend for valls and dwarf sag?

2. bitseriously Well Known Member Member

Seachem root tabs.
    I haven't tried any other tabs, but am thinking about it. Seachem tabs are pricey, but they seem to work well.

3. AJE Fishlore VIP Member

So I need root tabs not ferts?

4. abarb Well Known Member Member

Thrive caps (nilocg root tabs) are much better imo. They have micro nutrients and macro nutrients and they are cheaper than seachem’s if you can find them. In the us seachem root tabs are about $8 for 10 and thrive caps are $15 for 60.

These plants are root feeders so they need root tabs but will benefit from liquid fertiliser as well. For liquid ferts I also recommend thrive or its variants.

5. CandyCane701 Well Known Member Member

If the roots are planted then you dominantly want tabs. If it feeds straight from the water instead of the substrate, like java fern or anubias, then you want ferts for the most part. I use osmocote tabs from ebay. You can get a bunch of tabs for just a few dollars on there, and so far I've had great results.

6. AJE Fishlore VIP Member

7. AJE Fishlore VIP Member

https://www.amazon.com/CrystalClear-Winston-CC01760-Aquatic-Fertilizer/dp/B00004TTQD This one seems pretty cheap is this what you meant?

8. abarb Well Known Member Member

The first link was osmocote which is what @CandyCane701 uses.
    The second link was the one I suggested (thrive caps).
    The third link I don't know what it is.

9. AJE Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks, do you know how long they should last me?

10. abarb Well Known Member Member

Around 2-3 months or more. I think each brand has instructions about when to replace them

11. AJE Fishlore VIP Member

The osmocote seems to be for house plants, does that matter?

12. abarb Well Known Member Member

A lot of people use osmocote for aquariums so I assume it's ok but I have never used it.

13. bitseriously Well Known Member Member

If you're using osmocote, it has to be placed in soluble gel caps, then buried in substrate. I think.
    Also check this out (I just found it):

14. CandyCane701 Well Known Member Member