What Fertilizer Good For Java Fern

1. k

kashbill New Member Member

i got 6 stem java fern medium size, bunch christmass moss and java moss in 12gallon tank with ada substrate. fish 6 juvenile corycat. i been try the fluorish excel and dosing 1ml but next day i saw my java fern looks melt, then i stop fews day later it looks ok and not smooth like after the excel. Question is do i need any other special fertilizer, i cant use excel right after it done to my java fern. If im gonna add rooted plant next time, do i need a root tabs like diy osmocote plus? Screenshot_2018-06-12-11-48-17-922_com.android.chrome.jpg Screenshot_2018-06-12-11-14-22-576_com.android.chrome.jpg

2. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

That's not the osmocote plus that was used for a long time. I believe the plus was discontinued.

Excel isnt a fertilizer. Nilocg and easygreen are the two on the market with the most success.

You dont need to use excel except as an algaecide. You also dont need to fertilize much, if at all, with that ada aqua soil. You paid a lot for that substrate, put some better stuff in it like swords, hygrophila, s. Repens, valisnaria, dwarf sagitarria, etc.

As long as you have a decent light, you can grow a lot of good plants in that soil. Java ferns and moss dont benefit as much from it. They feed mostly from the water itself.

3. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

Java ferns really don't need any supplements. They do fine with just the naturally occurring Nitrates in an established tank. Moss does too. Anubias don't need anything either.

I'm a firm believer that the less stuff you add, the better.

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldnt add any ferts to the water column unless you add other plants. Ada will leech enough for for slow growers like moss and java ferns