What exactly will a Clown Loach eat? (Everything perhaps?)

1. Gordy Member Member

Just curious what exactly will a Clown Loach try to eat bar pest snails for example?

Was considering getting some to reduce my MTS population but wonder will they lick their lips for my other occupants?

Will a Clown (very small by the way) eat my large Amano Shrimps and small sized Tetras, my decent sized Assasin and large Nerite/Hornes Nerite snails for example or will they tend to leave them alone as long as there are plenty of MTS snails?

2. Kwig Well Known Member Member

Considering their adult size of over 12" and the fact that they need to be in a school, it's probably safe to say goodbye to all your inverts. What size tank?

Cutting a hole in the side of a water bottle that's only big enough for the MTS and then baiting it with algae pellets or veggies overnight is the easiest way to bring the population down.

3. Gordy Member Member

They (3) would be going into my 240 litre tank (but only temporary and then being returned to a friend), and they are very small about 2 inches I'd say!

I have tried the snail traps successfully but I have that many that I'd say it would take months to eradicate them if ever-I'm told the Clowns are excellent at eradicating them rather quickly!

4. Kwig Well Known Member Member

I'd look at the cause if it's that bad. They should only be that bad if the tank is growing too much algae or being overfed. You could reduce feeding, up substrate cleaning, and reduce lighting while trapping and get them under control that way. The clown loaches will still add a strain to your bioload and there's clearly already something out of balance. It's your tank to do as you please with, but I think the best practice is to always think about what you can do for your fish, not what they can do for you. And adding fish to do a chore for you is rarely the best possible option as it does not eliminate the root cause of the problem.
    Merely my opinion.