what exactly is "media"?

The Fish Lady

I'm wondering if someone will explain to me exactly what media is. I'm upgrading to a 20 gallon and have been researching filters. I've always been confused when reading about media.some people have bio rings,I think I've seen terra cotta rings? I have a HOB with the carbon filters,should I have something more to capture bacteria? It gets very confusing to a newbie!

Saturn

Media simply refers to anything that can store bacteria. Often the more effective types of media are those that are more porous than others. People commonly use bio-balls, sponges, and ceramic rings if they are wanting more biological filtration.

SnyperTodd

To elaborate on what Saturn has said, the general term 'media' refers to any type of material in a filter. The sponges, polishing pads, filter floss, activated carbon, any material that processes the water going through the filter in any way is filter media. 'Biological media' refers to any material that can harbor the beneficial bacteria.

Ideally you would have some sort of dedicated biological media, but some HOB filters tend to be very limiting as to what biomedia can be easily used in them. Without knowing what specific filter you have, it's hard to make a recommendation.

The Fish Lady

Thank you, that's helpful. I don't know exactly what I have, I believe it is a Tetra whisper filter, my current set up (10 gallon) came as a kit. I did by a bonded filter pad at the beginning and I hAve piece of that in there as well,so I guess that's considered additional media. Thanks!

Tennesseecowboy

Usually Tetra Whispers and most HOB filters that I have seen have the two parts shown below: The white media bag is mainly used for filtration and can contain bacteria and the black mesh piece holds bacteria as well. If you have that or something similar that both provides filtration as well as a place for bacteria you should be fine.

0305152354.jpg

ryanr

Hi, thread of interest

The Fish Lady

Yes that's exact what I have. Thank you!

Latest threads

Top Bottom