What Even Is My Guppy? Funny

1. Ryushokan

Ryushokan New Member Member

Ok so my guppy has a gonopodium, but... Is very, feminine? Theyre big, have a large belly, and have plain colors, pattern, and fin shapes. The biggest weird bit is, the male guppies try to mate with him. He is definetely a he and I will provode proof.
    20180622_013351.jpg 20180622_013356.jpg 20180622_013357.jpg
    He is the orange one. I was wondering if anyone knew why he is the way he is? I mean, he looks nothing like a male, hence why I hope he doesnt breed, and why I regret buying him thinking he was a female. But it is funny watching him get chased by males.

2. InsanityShard

InsanityShard Well Known Member Member

Some of my males grew like that but I notice none of them actually developed gravid spots. It happened as my number of females dropped over the years.

3. Hill Dweller

Hill Dweller Well Known Member Member

Oh man, we are going through this with the male guppies we just got for my kiddo. One is bigger, has a shorter tail and has all the littler more fancy males chasing it around. Very weird. I'm glad you posted this, I'm reassured now it is male :D

4. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

It looks like a female that has changed into a male. That happens a lot with guppies when there is a shortage of males in the population. Males never turn female though.

5. OP
    OP
    Ryushokan

Ryushokan New Member Member

Its defintely.weird and kinda disturbing

Glad to help XD its defintely a confusing and interesting phenomenon

Good to know or future reference, Ill keep an eye on all my fry see if I cant see it in action. Thank you for confirming mt suspicions didnt know if it was a common thing.