What equipment do you use in your tank to produce movement in the water?

dboll2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i know some people just have filters

but can you use a fan in your freshwater tank?

is movement in the water (besides that from the filter) good for a freshwater tank

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi dboll,
I don't know if I'd use a fan for water movement

Water movement in all tanks (marine or fresh) is necessary as it:
1) Allows the water to circulate the tank - this helps transfer heat around the tank, creates a current for the fish to swim in and keeps the water moving through the filter.
2) Surface agitation - facilitates 'gas exchange'. This is a process whereby carbon dioxide is released to the atmosphere and exchanged for oxygen. Oxygen is required by fish in order to breath.
3) Still water will become stagnant and stale. It can also lead to a build up of film on the water's surface.

Other methods of creating water movement/surface agitation are power heads, air pumps (creates agitation when the bubbles burst)

Generally speaking, the movement created by a filter is sufficient, so long as the filter is adequately rated for the tank.

Hope that answers your question.

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Bigger tanks often do better with some extra device to create water movement but a small tank should be OK with just the filter. Are you asking about your 38g? I have a couple of heavily planted 40gs which I have airstones in because they have dead spots created by the foliage.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

On my 265g tank I have a Wet/Dry filtering system with an over flow box. I really don't know of a better way to create surface movement than to have one of these filters. The trickle down effect automatically adds oxygen to the water, never a film on the water surface. Too, I think it sounds like a fountain running when I sleep. Very peaceful.

Ken

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A strong fan that will create decent ripples across the surface will help oxygenate the water but there are better methods. Pointing the filter outlets slighty towards the surface is the best way I know, especially if you use canister filters with spray bar attachments. Air pumps with various stones can also be used to great effect. Personally I prefer to just use my filters for surface movement but I do have airstones running in certain tanks all the time & in some tanks I have airstones that I only use during summer when the water is warmer & contains less oxygen.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads