What else to put in a 10 gallon tank?

bettasXD

I want to buy a new 10 gallon tank and do not know what I am putting in it. I am definitely putting 6 ember tetras in(I already have them). Is there any fish that will do well with ember tetras in a 10 gallon tank?

bored411

You can do other tetra, guppies, or Rasbora. Shrimp and snails as well. You don't want anything big enough to eat them or aggressive. So, sticking to one more school of smaller fish is your best bet in a tank that size.

User1

You can do other tetra, guppies, or Rasbora. Shrimp and snails as well. You don't want anything big enough to eat them or aggressive. So, sticking to one more school of smaller fish is your best bet in a tank that size.
Another school of tetras might not be the best, chili rasboras would be better I think.
I want to buy a new 10 gallon tank and do not know what I am putting in it. I am definitely putting 6 ember tetras in(I already have them). Is there any fish that will do well with ember tetras in a 10 gallon tank?
Small school of pygmy corydoras maybe? Shrimp are another option.
Could also increase the number of ember tetras

bored411

Another school of tetras might not be the best, chili rasboras would be better I think.

Small school of pygmy corydoras maybe? Shrimp are another option.
Could you explain why another school of tetra wouldn’t be best? I’m not as familiar with fish temperament.

Tigerburp

I would go with 1 or 2 nerite snails help keep your tank clean of algae

bettasXD

For guppies, if I buy both male and female guppies, will the the number surviving until adulthood be high?
How many ember tetras can I fit into a 10 gallon tank?
Will angle fish eat the ember tetras?

WRWAquarium

Could you explain why another school of tetra wouldn’t be best? I’m not as familiar with fish temperament.

A 10 gallon wouldn't have much room for 2 schools of tetras to swim at the same level.

ProudPapa

For guppies, if I buy both male and female guppies, will the the number surviving until adulthood be high?

• Yes, if you put male and female guppies in a 10 gallon tank you will definitely need a plan for what to do with the fry.
  • Probably ten or twelve.
  • Yes, an angel fish will eat ember tetras, and besides, angel fish get much too large for a 10 gallon aquarium. There is debate on whether or not they should go in anything smaller than a 40 gallon tank.
A 10 gallon wouldn't have much room for 2 schools of tetras to swim at the same level.

I agree. I'd personally just get more ember tetras, along with some shrimp.

User1

12 at most I think, then just a couple of nerites as the clean up

bettasXD

• Yes, if you put male and female guppies in a 10 gallon tank you will definitely need a plan for what to do with the fry.
  • Probably ten or twelve.
  • Yes, an angel fish will eat ember tetras, and besides, angel fish get much too large for a 10 gallon aquarium. There is debate on whether or not they should go in anything smaller than a 40 gallon tank.

I agree. I'd personally just get more ember tetras, along with some shrimp.
Ok thank you

KingOscar

6-8 Embers would be a fine stocking level in a 10. The only thing I'd add is Ramshorn snails to clean up any leftovers and algae.

bettasXD

The only thing I'd add is Ramshorn snails to clean up any leftovers and algae.
So what type of snail is best at eating algae and clean up the tank? Also, what type of snail is the hardiest?

ProudPapa

So what type of snail is best at eating algae and clean up the tank? Also, what type of snail is the hardiest?
  • I believe most people will agree that nerite snails are the best at controlling algae.
  • As far as I know all commonly kept snails are pretty hardy, though mystery snails didn't do well for me. I've lost one or two nerite snails very soon after getting them, but other than that they seem to last for a long time.

User1

Ramshorn or nerites are good.

Thunder_o_b

Danio margaritatus is a pretty little fish that might work.

bettasXD

A few good options are: pygmy corydoras, a killifish, a dwarf gourami, or a betta.
I already have a betta but I will consider the others. Thank you!

FishFiendSP

I personally believe that any community tank without at least one species of corydora is a crime and your ten gallon can definitely hold a school of four-five pygmy cories. Add those guys, either bump up your school of tetras or add a centerpiece like a dwarf gourami, guppy, or betta, and add some snails and/or shrimp and you've got yourself a beautiful ten gallon aquarium.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Tryne
  • Question
Replies
Views
Zyzheng88
  • Question
Replies
Views
Leeman75