10 Gallon Tank What else to get?

DarkRider7th

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi guys, I want to get some more fish but I don't really know what kind.
I have 3 mollies & 4 ghost shrimp in my 10 gallon right now, what else would be good to stick in with them? I thought about getting some blue guppys because my mom really likes them & i've thought about some cherry barbs. Or what else do you guys suggest?

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well firstly, Welcome to Fishlore!

I think your tank is full stocked as it is and wouldn't advise adding anything else.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to fishlore. Mollies are recommended for at least 20 gallon tanks. They get pretty big and can produce a lot of waste for livebearers. I think 3 of them in a 10g is overstocked. Agree with Ben that you shouldn't get anything else for your tank.

DarkRider7th

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Darn.. I really wanted something else since I didn't want mollies in the first place (My mom bought them as a suprise)
well thanks for the quick reply

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You could try taking them to your LFS and exchanging them since you don't have a large enough tank. Chances are they will take them back and give you some credit (maybe) that you could use towards the fish you water.

Here's a link to the Freshwater Fish profile page. Look around and see whats compatible with your tank.

https://www.fishlore.com/freshwaterfish.htm

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
if you can get a credit.....then maybe you could do 3 guppies . or you could consider platys. i don't think they get as large as mollies. of course you could also divide it in half and get two bettas. there are some nice blue ones if you like blue! but shrimp could be eaten by the betta. so......

or a honey gourami and maybe 3 corys? this is assuming you can get a credit for the mollies

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to fishlore DarkRider7th. you could get a bigger tank or another tank for the fish you want.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree if you want other fish I'd tank the mollys back to the LFS and exchange them.

if you can get a credit.....then maybe you could do 3 guppies . or you could consider platys. i don't think they get as large as mollies. of course you could also divide it in half and get two bettas. there are some nice blue ones if you like blue! but shrimp could be eaten by the betta. so......

or a honey gourami and maybe 3 corys? this is assuming you can get a credit for the mollies
If I recall corys need atleast 20 gallons and I know for sure that they like to be in big groups of 5 to 6 or more.

Here's some idea's off the top of my head.
1) Guppys and neon tetras (like two male guppys and 5 neons or something like that)
2) 3 Guppys and 3 Platys
3) Two male bettas (divided tank)
4) White clouds and guppys or platys
5) White clouds and neon tetras

Then I personally would add a snail to the tank for algae control. Good luck with your tank!

DarkRider7th

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Unfortunetly its been to long for me to take them back... & money is real tight atm so I can't buy a bigger tank
My fish are gunna have to tough it out for awhile until I get more money.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
at many LFS you can trade them in and get store credit for other fish. Usually they give around 1/3 of what they sell them for.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
well i do know corys like to be in bigger groups.....but 3 can work. well if there wasn't much in the tank the corys could work. maybe.

the white cloud minnows need more space than that. and they like colder water than the other fish listed.

and guppies and tetras.....aren't tetras a little nippy? they might find guppy fins very attractive

DarkRider7th

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks guys for all responces & suggestions, I'll take them into consideration.

Also i've been thinking & looking at some tanks I can get for cheap & I seen 5 gallon tank I maybe could buy, would it be big enough for moving one of my mollies into?

Jrobber

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Also i've been thinking & looking at some tanks I can get for cheap & I seen 5 gallon tank I maybe could buy, would it be big enough for moving one of my mollies into?
Depending on availability, you could check out craigslist and possibly pick up an entire used kit (tank, heater, filter, gravel) from someone locally at a really good price.

e_watson09

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

One molly would work in a 10 gal.
The smallest tank you should have any mollys in at all would be a 20 gallon personally. Since you don't have many fish in the tank I think you'll be okay for now with the 3 mollys and shrimp. But I wouldn't add anymore fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom