What Else Should I Put In My Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Lauradesu, May 22, 2018.

1. Lauradesu

Lauradesu Valued Member Member

So I have a 50 gallon cycled now we have two small ryukin fancy goldfish and a tiny bushy nose pleco in there as well. Me and my fiance enjoy community fish and ones that can live at a ph of 7.4 and temperature of 26°c we were going to get two more ryukins but we want to explore other options for our tank because every time we get more ryukins something happens to them. So what else can we put in there

Pic to show the tank

Attached Files:

2. l

leeexie-flowy Valued Member Member

What kind of fish are you looking for?
    You could probably have coryes or a school of barbs... There are a lot of options!

3. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

Well 26 degrees is really too high for goldfish. If you can give the pleco to someone and remove the heater then you could have a school of white cloud minnows.

4. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

For ryukins specifically it's actually the perfect temperature. I'm not giving up my pleco no way he was a gift from my dad. And the heater isnt coming out

5. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

I actually have no further knowledge on other fish. I only know about bushy nose plecos ryukin goldfish and guppies. What are coryes and barbs? Do you have pictures?

6. Discus-Tang

Ryukins are coldwater fish. If their 'perfect temperature' was 26 then they would be classified as 'tropical fish'.

If you don't want to get rid of your pleco you would have to buy it a 30 Gallon tank of its own and put the heater on that tank.

7. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Please excuse my information, I just did further research and where I got my information before was wrong. I turned down the heater and the water should drop to 22°c lucky for me my pleco lives through practically everything. Hes great!

Side note: they do technically classify ryukins as tropical but its just a technicality for where they come from. But that differs from keeper to keeper

*edit* when my pleco was in my 15 gallon it was constantly at 20°c and he did very well for the three weeks he was in there till he got transferred into the big tank. Now both tanks could support him even though the 15 gallon is up at 25°c right now for the guppies.

8. Discus-Tang

You will have to rehome the pleco to a 29 gallon tank though as they aren't coldwater.

9. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

I just did a google search bushy nose plecos and bristled nose plecos can live in 20°c to about 28°c so he Is fine and it said this on three different places on pleco keeping and breeding.

10. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

I just gotta let you know, neither cories nor barbs can live with goldfish, aside from the fact that their temperature ranges are almost 10° off. Cories would not be able to complete with the goldfish as they both scavenge the bottom, and those who tried keeping them together often got dead goldfish and cories because the goldfish would try to eat the cory, the Cory would extend it's spikes and lodge itself in the throat of the goldfish and both would die. The barbs would be eaten or die of the cold water.
    Bushynose can survive as low as 72° but you're going to have to keep a close eye since plecos are know for sucking the slime coat off goldfish and causing open wounds. Also, they're incredibly sensitive to medication so keep that in mind.
    Aside from that, if you have sand a school of dojo/weather loaches could work, as could mystery snials, though they might be eaten, Rosy red minnows are a nice option

11. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Actually yasu (my bushy noses pleco) doesnt attach him self to any of the goldfish he kinda rules the tank and the. Goldfish dont go near him. So there is happiness between the three. I dont have sand but I'm also curious, what fish could stand living with ryukins other than ryukins them selves.

12. Discus-Tang

I would do danios or minnows.

13. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

Danios? Also correct me my thought of minnows are small fish that live in creeks I grew up catching them for my dad to use as fishing bait. Is there a difference?

14. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

OHH danios are zebra fish, I know zebra fish my dad had them when I was a kid, i was hoping for something a little more flashy though like the ryukins but i fear I dont have much options because though ryukins are community fish it's hard to find tank mates that they wont gobble their food up. Also since we have the ryukins on specially made for goldfish gel food that costs an arm and a leg but the container will last you like two years.

15. Rtessy

The best options are danios, be careful with the type you get, eg don't get glowlight danios or celestial pearl danios since those are truly tropical fish. I think the Giant Danio also works, they get about 5". You could try white cloud mountain minnows (there are many many types of minnows, all ranging in size, eg, the rosy red minnow I mentioned earlier get about 3 inches, WCMM not so much), that being said, WCMM are often fast enough to evade goldfish, but not always...

16. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

I feel like I'm stuck with ryukins, I cant handle anymore fish casualties and I dont want to take the chance, I'm lucky enough to have not lost any of my guppies and my two original ryukins and my pleco. I would go for a black moor but the one I had brushed up against the rock I have in my 50 gallon and his eyes fell out....he couldnt even eat.

17. Rtessy

Oh no! I'm so sorry.
    Dojo loaches would likely still work, they get 10" so the goldfish wouldn't be able to eat them, you'd need at least 6 of them. Also they don't like attaching to goldfish and eating their slime coat, so that's a plus.

18. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

Goldfish and Bristlenose plecos are tempt compatible. Bristlenoses aren’t known for sucking slimecoat either. That happens with more carnivorous species of plecos I wager. I think a lot of the bad rap comes from the Chinese Algae Eater as well, which do have sucker mouths, but aren’t plecos.

Also, I don’t consider goldfish as coldwater fish. Their geographic range is very widespread, not to mention many goldfish are now being bred and exported from tropical climates. Fish like burbot and trout that require a chiller to keep are what I constitute as being coldwater.

19. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

I dont want to make competition for yasu my bushy nose either, I guess picking ryukins I kinda made my bed already and have to lay in it now. Not that it bothers me I really do love ryukins they are beautiful fish, but I'm wondering if my lfs sells more than ryukins and black moors I think they sell comets too but I always get distracted by ryukins and guppies.

20. OP
    OP
    Lauradesu

From the information I've read you're absolutely correct. Ryukins are technically tropical because of where they come from.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice