What else do I need?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by klogue2, Dec 21, 2012.

1. klogue2

klogue2 Valued Member Member

Wondering if I'm missing anything I should have to grow plants. I currently have Flourish Excel and Flourish Root Tabs. Will be getting the light fixture and bulbs soon, as well as miracle grow organic potting soil. And of course the plants :)

Is there anything else I need in order to grow aquarium plants? I'd like to stay simple but will get any other chemicals/things that are necessary.

2. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

I think that, as long as your lighting is correct for what you want to grow, you are ready to go :).

3. A

AlanGreene Well Known Member Member

planting tongs maybe? make sure to spray the plants with water as you go if the tank has no water in it!

4. OP
    OP
    klogue2

Alright, that sounds good :) thanks everyone! I'm goin to pick up some plants, substrate and the light and will post when I'm done :)

5. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

You'll need a cap for that soil.

6. OP
    OP
    klogue2

Thanks! After debating in my head a LOT I decided I'd rather save myself the trouble from messing with dirt and just use my sand/gravel mix that's my current substrate.

I finally got home and have all my new toys to share with you all :)

I picked up a Coralife Aqualight T5 dual lamp fixture, with one colormax bulb and one 6700k 18w bulb. Should I switch out the colormax bulb for another plant bulb? I'm think the 18w is not enough light. But perhaps it's more different from T8 bulbs than I realized.

The plants I picked out were corkscrew val, java fern, anubias coffeefolia, amazon sword, and water wisteria. I put in a few flourish root tabs around the plants to make sure they'd get some nutrients.

The sword and corkscrew val are huge! they already reach the top of the water. The java fern is about medium-ish sized, and the anubias and wisteria are still small-medium. I attached a couple stems of the java fern to one of my rocks to see if it will grow onto it :) I'm excited to see everything unfold!

7. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Are your bulbs 18 watts each? If so, then you have low to low moderate lighting. It may not be enough to keep the sword happy long term.

Good choice to forgo the dirt. Dirt has its own set of headaches. Best to tackle that at another time.

You may already be aware, but just in case.....

*Excel and Vals do not mix well. To avoid the plant melt begin by dosing at half strength. Then, each week increase the dose until you are at full strength.

*Anubias is a rhizome that must remain completely exposed and have water circulating around it at all times. If buried, the rhizome will rot and the plant will die.

*Amazon Swords get HUGE!!! It will take over your tank if you have enough light for it. Mine took over a 90G tank!!

8. OP
    OP
    klogue2

Yes, they are both 18 watts.

Thanks for the heads up on vals and excel, I had no idea about that. I was told anacharis melted as well with it so I will be careful with the dosing.

I also didn't realize how big the swords get, I knew they got big but not that big! o.o Perhaps I'll rehome it or trim it when it gets too big, or if my lighting doesn't sustain it... I guess I did in a way know better than to get it, in the back of my head I had a nagging though about if the sword would be good under my lighting.

9. c

Amazon Swords become tank busters! Here's mine....

In a full sized Tall Kitchen can:
    [​IMG]

Root system (those are 8 inch scissors for size reference)
    [​IMG]

Top of plant
    [​IMG]

Here it is in my 90G tank. It takes up the entire side, is over 2 foot tall, and has to be corralled by a very large piece of driftwood.
    [​IMG]

10. OP
    OP
    klogue2

Hi again! Just wondering if I'll even need to use my CO2(flourish excel)? I've been reading a little more and saw that if I have low-moderate light I don't need co2. But would it help if I used it anyways or hurt the plants by overdosing?

11. c

In low light it would be a waste. But in moderate light a carbon source would help the plants and control algae.

12. OP
    OP
    klogue2

Ok, thanks!

13. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

Awesome sword pics

14. Mer-max

Mer-max Well Known Member Member

I want my sword to grow like that! What do you use!!??

15. c

My Amazon Sword is in a high light, high tech tank. I dose dry ferts and root tabs along with injected CO2. It took about 2 years to reach that size. I have since split the plant into 4 parts. It simply took over the 90G tank!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice