What else do I need for a CUC?

mangups

I have a 20 Gallon tank where I have just started with Zoanthids..(Tank is a yr old)

OTHERS:
Specific gravity: 1.026
NO3: 5~10 ppm
pH: 81. ~8.2
Phosphates: 0.1~0.2 ppm.

Tank is a year old -
Other aquaria - 2 ClarkI clowns, 1 Atlantic condy anemone, 2 crabs, 1 neon dotty back, 1 six line wrasse, 1 royal gramma basslet

Others: Tank: 20 Gal Long, 40 LBS live rock, Aquafuge Hangon back Refigum (has sand , live rock rubble and chaeto), Running - Aquarclear 30 filter (with Chemipure Elite and carbon) Hydor Nano SlI'm skimmer, 2 power heads (700 GPH & 1200 Gph)on a Hydor smart wave controller, Odyessa 4 X 24 W (T5HO 10,000K, Actinic, Moonlight, 2x 10000K and 2x Actinic Blue ) light , 9W green killing UV sterilizer, 1 Nova tech Ice probe chiller

Light timing: 8 am - Actinic On, 9:30 am 10,000k On, 7pm: 10,000k off, 9pm: Actinic off, 9pm Moonlight LED on, 7:30 am moonlight LED off.

Water used for Change is RO water bought from LFS...

So far I have this as CUC:

a) 1 Tigerstripe Serpent Sea Star ()
b) 1 Trubo Snail ()
c) 3~4 Red leg and 1~2 electric blue hermit crab

What else should I have a part of CUC? Essentially would like to keep glass, sand clean, have no algae and keep phosphates and Nitrates as low as possible...

I essentially want to get rid of the brown stuff on the sand and the hairy stuff on the live rock... (Not sure if the brown stuff is diatoms) but I have no new live rock addition to my tank...

The only thing that changes in the tank is the last 2 weeks is...a) New light b) 1 six line wrasse and 1 royal Gramm basslet
DSC_0248.jpg

featherblue

My astrea snail devoured my diatoms, even some red cyano. One is keeping my 12g spotless. Cleaned a 4" square a day at first, now just maintains all my live rock

mangups

My astrea snail devoured my diatoms, even some red cyano. One is keeping my 12g spotless. Cleaned a 4" square a day at first, now just maintains all my live rock

My CUC are absolutely BUMs.!!!.. they sit around...

the star fish only moves to eat pellets when I feed the fish and so do the crabs - they sit around...the Snail does move some what but it does not seem to be effective....

featherblue

My ceriths aren't near as efficient as the astrea at rock cleaning. I haven't gad a turbo (too small of a tank), so I can't compare how effective they are

monkeypie102

Turbos are just lazy lol... Some move a cm a day some circle the tank... Personally I prefer Aestrea to turbos ...

mangups

ryanr

I don't think you're seeing diatoms, I think you're seeing detritus build up. Judging by the sand shape, it looks like maybe that's a small dead spot in your water flow.

I agree with adding nassa snails to your clean-up crew. They'll keep the sand bed turning over, and hopefully limit the build up.

You could also try redirecting your power heads to keep the water flowing all over the tank, and help keep the detritus suspended so the skimmer can collect it.

featherblue

You may need to take back a few of those astraea once the tank is clean. I don't think your tank can support that many long term.

Nassa are great. I have 2, we named them red and October. I can usually find at least one of their parascopes, and they're every where at food time. No more anything builds up on the sand

mangups

I put one of the nassarius snail in the refugI'm with 3 Astraea turbo Snails. The rest is in the display...so far the Astraea are all over the glass...and the Nassa are somehwere .. cannot spot .. these guys are quick to move ...

Ryanr--- I also redirected the powerheards.. directed them directly to the rock on top of 2 rocks so as to get flow underneath them.....

ryanr

Your nassa snails will have buried themselves. You can get them to come out by placing a bit of meaty food on the sand bed

Astreas will go everywhere, they're quite fast moving too. You may notice they don't move much during lights on, but at night they go foraging.

mangups

Your nassa snails will have buried themselves. You can get them to come out by placing a bit of meaty food on the sand bed

Astreas will go everywhere, they're quite fast moving too. You may notice they don't move much during lights on, but at night they go foraging.

Quick question ... Do I need to feed the CUC in the refugim? Or should I expect they will find the algae etc enough in the refugim?

ryanr

What do you have in the fuge?

Normally the CUC is left in the display tank to keep it clean.

mangups

I have 1 nassarius, 3 astreas, 2 hermits , ball of chaeto and live rock pieces in the fuge ....

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mangups
Replies
Views
macca
Replies
Views
mangups
Replies
Views
mangups
Replies
Views
Atomsk

Did You Know...

Used aquarium water (with no medications in it) can be good for watering your house plants! Have you done a water change lately?
What do you do with your water change water?

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom