What else could i house with a betta in a 5 gallon? 5 Gallon Tank

1. 1thing

1thing Valued Member Member

So if I put a betta in a 5 gallon could I have anything else in there with them??

thing

2. Castiel*

Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Well, you could always look at getting a Nerite snail, or some sort of shrimp (mixed reviews on shrimp).
    Male betta fish are really territorial, their tank is really THEIR tank, and anything you put in there with him is in reality trespassing. It would only be a matter of time before they turn on the other fish.

Some others may nip at my his delicate long fins too. I really wouldn't recommend stocking anything but a betta and some snails in a 5g tank. The ecosystem is too easily disturbed, and betta aren't very happy in any community setting.

3. TJBender

TJBender Well Known Member Member

A couple of small snails. IMO, that's it. I had a betta nearly die after swallowing a ghost shrimp whole, and will never recommend mixing those two species. Any other type of shrimp will be a very expensive snack for your betta.

4. OP
    OP
    1thing

1thing Valued Member Member

How about neon tetras???

thing

5. TJBender

TJBender Well Known Member Member

Neons are too active and require too large a school for a 5g, even as a species tank.

6. k

klj7678 Valued Member Member

I've got a mystery snail in with my betta. He stayed really close to him for the first few days but there were no attacks. Now Cthulu (the betta) doesn't even pay attention to the snail unless he's got food.

7. h

hopeful fish Well Known Member Member

In a five gallon, I wouldn't put anything in but snails. Bettas are territorial, and they can live in community tanks, but you have to have the right betta and perfect stocking and ensure that the betta can have his space if he needs it.

Tetras are definitely a no-go. They cannot thrive in a 5 gallon, and there are some reports of them nipping a betta's fins.