What else causes curved spine other than TB? Question

1. nhaiflich Member Member

I'm in the midst of some sort of outbreak. I've lost 3 fish in last 4 days. Another is infected. I thought she was weird because of pregnancy but no. Today, her spine is starting to curve and hasn't eaten in 2 days. It looks like something is growing on her back under skin. I also see little bits of something hanging from her belly. You can kind of see it in first picture. My phone sucks at pics.Is there any other parasite or fungus or anything that would cause this other than TB? Her color is a bit off too. Normally bright white but looks duller to me.

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. Crissandra331 Member Member

3. nhaiflich Member Member

That was very helpful. Thank you so much. Sounds exactly like what is going on. Swordtails can be added to the list also. Though 1 didn't have the hunchback.

4. nhaiflich Member Member

I put her in qt on Friday. Dosed tank with kanaplex. Will admit used a little more than was suppose to. Not getting hopes up yet, but she does seem a little better today. Hump isn't better but fins are hardly clamped and she ate the tiniest bit of food this morn. Still have fingers crossed!

Attached Files:

5. Crissandra331 Member Member

Fingers & fins crossed over here too!

6. nhaiflich Member Member

Sadly, she passed last night. Rip jewel

7. Crissandra331 Member Member

Awww I'm so sorry for your loss.. She was a pretty girl too!

8. nhaiflich Member Member

Thank you! It helps to know got a few of her babies to carry on!

9. Crissandra331 Member Member

OH YES! thats awesome... good for you! she lives on through her babies..very happy you have a little reminder of her :)

10. sophi Well Known Member Member

I had a similar thing with one of my tetras. His spine just continued curving to the point where he became unrecognizable. He died a month after this flared up. Surprisingly, the other fish weren't affected (I didn't QT either) so it couldn't have been TB. He also had a sunken in head and stomach during his last few days so it was probably a mix of things.
    Unfortunately, I think genetics play a role. It's probably one of those things where you couldn't have done anything to help sadly. A lot of these fish come from poor genetic backgrounds so i feel like these kinda things are bound to happen. It definitely sucks, but you did your best at least! Sorry for your lose. :c

11. nhaiflich Member Member

Hope I have same luck with rest of tank as you did! So far so good! A total of 5 fish in less than a month is more than enough to lose. Especially when you do try your hardest and it doesn't help. Heres to hoping done for a good long while!