what else can i throw in the tank for now

Discussion in 'Brackish Tanks Forum' started by PuffPuff, Jul 16, 2015.

1. PuffPuff

PuffPuff Well Known Member Member

i currently have a 10 gallon figure 8 puffer tank that i am going to make fully marine. slowly of course. for the time being can i put something else in the tank besides the figure 8. another fish or botton feeder or coral or some type of plant?

[​IMG]

what i have so far

i know puffers get bored too, so what should i add to the tank. live of fake ornament?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2015
  2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

An F8 puffer alone needs at least a 15 gallon tank. I wouldn't add anything to an undersized tank except DW and plants.

3. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

F8's are not marine. Please do not make your F8 tank marine. It will only shorten its life by many years and make it miserable. If you want a happy and healthy F8 that will live a long life, keep in low brackish conditions. F8s are sometimes confused with green spotted puffers, who do need marine. Your puffer is a F8.

You can add some java ferns but be sure to acclimate them to brackish over a few hours before you put them in.
    [​IMG]

Please don't get another fish for the tank. Your tank is already alarmingly overstocked.

4. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Outside of plants and decorations, there is absolutely nothing yoh should be adding to a tank with ich. Furthermore, when you raise salinity over 1.010 your going to be switching over biological bacteria. This can be done easily with a slow raising of the salinity and not changing bio-load.

5. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

thank you all. BTW, this tank is only temporary. my LFS doesnt have a 30 gallon in stock yet. so i have to wait, since it is $1 per gallon :) deal

6. Gena

Okay, that's good that you plan on upgrading.

Are you feeding your puffer flakes?

7. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

i only got the puffer cause they had a sale on them. $3 puffers. so i had to get one. anyways, no right now im feeding it bloodworms and i barely started to breed pond snails. i threw the pond snails in my 20 gallon freshwater tank with my tetras. any food you recommed that will help my puffer thrive, even help make his color brighter?

i tried flakes just to see if it would and it completely ignored it.

8. Gena

Soaking the bloodworms in Seachem Garlic Guard is good. Sammy loooooovvvvvessss it. Sammy also has an obsession with krill. But it's not good for puffers. It's like candy for them. When she sees the krill containers she starts dancing. I also get her a teeny tiny cocktail shrimp from the grocery store. She likes that. Although you'll get some strange looks when you ask for just one cocktail shrimp, lol. Sometimes they'll just give it to you for free. I cut the tiny cocktail shrimp in two and feed it over a two day period. I make sure to keep a hold of it with my feed tongs when she attacks it so that I can make sure leftovers don't foul up the water quality.
    This is a great list of all the noms:

Garlic Guard:  

9. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

wow, well i currently hand feed mine. but ill get some seachem garlic guard. its true how it knows the bloodwrm container. it follows it and tries to attack the glass. its so adorable. hands down one of the best fish i have purchased. really entertaining. as for the shrimp, i love shrimp so i guess me and the puffer can have a shrimp night cocktail thing going. lol :;banaman

would i always soak blood worms in the seachem or once in a while?

i took a picture of it for the contest here and it looks like its eating spagetti. soooo funny cute

10. Gena

11. OP
    OP
    PuffPuff

i got a pack for free when i got the puffer. yeah they are frozen.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice