What else can I do?

miishii

Reaction score
So my Betta has been pretty sickly from the start. I got him about 6 months ago and he came with parasites that took a while to clear up but eventually he got better(used API general cure). I moved him up from a 2.5 to a 5gal but the filter was too strong and he lost a pectoral fin to it.
Purchased a sponge filter, his fin started to grow back but then it gotta what I assume is a fungal infection, treated it with meds in a hospital tank (I have snails in the 5g) and it cleared up. Back into the main tank. Good for a while.

Find him sitting beside the sponge filter with his fins sticking to it. It didn't rip any off but they looked a bit tattered ya know? Anyways he all of a sudden starts losing his front fins, like they just dissolve off? I keep the water pretty clean with a weekly water change and I test the water regularly.

It didn't improve so I decided to put him back in the hospital tank. All I could get right now was lifeguard all-in-one. He's back in the main tank now but he just looks miserable, he's lethargic, barely eats, has one pectoral fin and no ventral fins... Will he recover? What else can I do at this point?? I'm at a loss. I'd love for him to recover. He's fed pellets and occasionally frozen brine shrimp.

Tank specs
5gal
Heated 81°F
Filtered with sponge filter
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10ppm
Live and silk plants
1 assassin snail and a few baby pond snails are in the tank.
IMG_20200403_200217.jpg
x

Asomeone

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Alrighty so I'm gonna start right off and say I am not trying to be rude.
This sounds like fin rot.
A sponge filter is such low flow that if your fish is sticking to it...that's a problem.
Does the fish have white fuzzy growth on his fins? I personally would lower the temp to 79 but that's a nitpicky thing. I would administer an antibiotic like apI fungus care. I would follow the direction on the bottle until symptoms subside and then after a couple days id acclimate back to the main tank.
Honestly the sad truth might be that the parasites you originally treated did too much damage and the fish might not be able to come back from it. Obviously that's not what were hoping for but it is something that is worth considering.

OP
M

miishii

Reaction score
Asomeone said:
Alrighty so I'm gonna start right off and say I am not trying to be rude.
This sounds like fin rot.
A sponge filter is such low flow that if your fish is sticking to it...that's a problem.
Does the fish have white fuzzy growth on his fins? I personally would lower the temp to 79 but that's a nitpicky thing. I would administer an antibiotic like apI fungus care. I would follow the direction on the bottle until symptoms subside and then after a couple days id acclimate back to the main tank.
Honestly the sad truth might be that the parasites you originally treated did too much damage and the fish might not be able to come back from it. Obviously that's not what were hoping for but it is something that is worth considering.
Yeah I though it was fin rot or something too which is why I treated him with lifeguard, I did a 5 day course according to the directions, it's all I could get right now at my local pet store :( right now I can see a thin strip of clear fin on his tattered fins where some is growing back. No white fuzzy bits. He hangs out at the top of the tank on his Betta leaf or at the bottom inside a log. His belly is a bit swollen, I don't know if that helps with anything. I'm most concerned about his missing pectoral and ventral fins, do those have any chance of coming back? And will his energy come back? I added a picture to my original post as well.

New Threads