What else can I add?

WiccaFish

I need your help. As my fish mature I'm noticing some behavior changes I'm not happy with. I left it to an expert to help me pick out fish that would get along and for the most part they are but my fancy tiger barbs seem to be taking over the tank. All the other fish are on one side of the tank while the tigers rule the other side. I just noticed one of my sharks has a torn pectoral fin. I don't ever see the barbs go after the other fish but their flashy swimming seems to make the others nervous. And this nervous behavior by all the other fish started after a tiger dropped eggs.
I know I need to add fish but I would like recommendations on to which and how many. I would like to stay with what I originally have but just add more numbers.
2 Pearl Gourami
5 Long Finned Tiger Barb's
2 Roseline Sharks
2 Boesemani Rainbowfish
1 Bristlenose

AggressiveAquatics

What size tank is this? And I’m not really surprised the tiger barbs took over. Those are the type of dither fish people use for cichlid tanks.

Upvote 0

WiccaFish

75 gallon. I trusted the store owner when picking the fish and he said the fancy tail are not agressive. I think they are beautiful and I never see them nipping or even going after the other fish but I am definitely seeing how the other fish are staying on one side of the tank and avoid the barbs except for feeding time. Will adding to the other groups give them more confidence or do I need to rehome the tigers?

Upvote 0

AggressiveAquatics

75 gallon. I trusted the store owner when picking the fish and he said the fancy tail are not agressive. I think they are beautiful and I never see them nipping or even going after the other fish but I am definitely seeing how the other fish are staying on one side of the tank and avoid the barbs except for feeding time. Will adding to the other groups give them more confidence or do I need to rehome the tigers?
You can add a few more rainbows because they like bigger groups anyway. I didn’t read the part about them laying eggs sorry. That makes sense now when fish lay eggs they become very territorial and don’t allow other fish into the area until the babies grow a little

Upvote 0

WiccaFish

I didn't realize she was filled with eggs until I saw her huge belly and posted pics on the forum. The next day her belly went back to normal. I haven't found any eggs or see any fry though. I think they may have gotten eaten.
Do you think by making the other groups...gourami, shark, rainbows, a bit larger in size it would help or do I not have room for that? Do I only have room to only add a few more rainbows?

Upvote 0

fallfever

I don't know your filtration, which will certainly make a difference, but it doesn't sound like you have enough rainbows (at least 5), barbs (6 probably ideal), or tiger barbs (more the better). Those are all fish with a lot of activity and as mentioned before tigers have a habit of taking over a tank. I would think more rainbows and barbs would be an issue as well. Are you able to return/rehome the tigers or would you happen to be stuck with them?

Upvote 0

WiccaFish

I'm going to try and return the tigers. Hopefully exchange them and increase the numbers of the Gouramis, barbs, and rainbows

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
WiccaFish
  • Question
Replies
Views
WiccaFish
  • Question
Replies