what elese could it be?????

praterface

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I lost my Redtail yesterday and I think I'm going to lose a couple more if I don't act fast .
My 3 tiger barbs are just kinda floating around in corners and not eating
I tought my tank was cycled
.25 amm
.0nitrites. (now)
I've read all the other post to what I thought was pertaining to my problem. But I'm thinking it's something elese.
What elese could it be? Went to AquaZoo here in Jacksonville they told me to buy some cycle®. So we'll see.

coupple hints: 1. I did a 25% water change Friday. and cleaned the filter out with tap water....No No???
2. I also have a powerhead hooked up just for oxidation and current.
at the top of my tank. Will that stress the fish out? or do I really even need that?

Please help!!!!!!

thanks
john

kyle88525

Reaction score
Well, if your tank was cycled it probably is going through another cycle since you probably killed all the good bacteria in your filter by washing it with tap water. You should wash the filter in old tank water during a water change so the bacteria doesn't die. I'd test your water again to see if the tank is cycling again. If it is your probably gonna need to do daily water changes to keep the ammonia down and your fish healthy. I'm still a beginner at this stuff so I'll let someone else add more...

Jimold

Well Known
Reaction score
I've been told to NEVER rinse the filter with tap water unless you have no choice. Rinse it in old tank water. Chlorine in your tap water can kill any good bacteria living in it.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
All good advice. If you clean your filter with tap water, you kill the beneficial bacteria in your filter. And as a result, your tank will have to cycle again. So never clean your filter, and especially filter media, in tap water. Take some tank water in some bucket, and clean the filter media in there.

Since you already have fish in your tank, and your water has ammonia: unless you have another cycled tank ready to transfer the sick fish into, there is not much you can do except for 50% DAILY water changes. If you want to increase the chances of your fish surviving the mini-cycle (or entire cycle if you killed all of the bacteria), perform daily 50% water changes until ammonia = 0 and nitrite = 0.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom