What does the "F" stand for?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by HitchHiker, Apr 7, 2010.

1. HitchHiker

HitchHiker Valued Member Member

I have been research fluorescent lighting and have a good understanding of the differences between the different "T"s (i.e. T12,T8,T6,T5), but what does the "F" refer to (i.e. F4 F12 F13 F14)?

2. pepetj

pepetj Well Known Member Member

F stands for linear fluorescent, the numbers next to it represent the wattage of that lamp. F10 means linear fluorescent 10W; F24T5HO means linear fluorescent 24W 5/8" diameter lamp High Output

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

3. OP
    OP
    HitchHiker

Sweet so a F54T5HO would be your standard 48" 54 W T5HO?

Would FC then mean a Compact Fluorescent?

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  4. sirdarksol

sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Yes to the first part of that question. That's what I'm working with for my aquarium.

5. mathas

mathas Well Known Member Member

FC should stand for "fluorescent circline", which means the bulb is circular, but it wouldn't surprise me if some manufacturers didn't adhere to that.

In  , the bulb code is FC12T5, meaning the tube itself is 5/8" in diameter, but it forms a torus with a 12" outer diameter. In  , however, the bulb code begins with FC30, and the 30 indicates that it's a 30W bulb. There doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency on what the number after the FC represents on circline bulbs, sometimes its outer diameter and sometimes its energy consumption.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  6. OP
    OP
    HitchHiker

Great thanks for the info, so basically a FC bulb is one that circular, but there is no standard as to what the number after the FC designation means. Great info thanks for all the help.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice