What does pet stores mean by “mixed fish”?

Amaracalle

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I was killing time by looking at fish in a chain pet store (ones where they have dead fish floating around and would leave a goldfish that jumped out to die on the floor) and a lot of the labels said ‘mixed’ before the fish breed suck as
-mixed oscars
-mixed fantails
-mixed tetras
And so on and I always wondered why but when I have asked I got these two answers
1) it’s becuz the fish are mixed in the tank and THiers more then one.
2)the fish are mixed breed with other fish similar to dogs.
Maybe I’m just skeptical but that just d

SM1199

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It means "assorted." Like, when they say "mixed tetras," they mean they've put multiple species of tetras together in the same tank. With fish that are of the same species like "mixed oscars," they mean they've put multiple color variants of the same species together. To some places, it's easier than making an individual label for every single species and every single color variant.

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hybrids honestly aren't that common unless they are African or American cichlids. Yes, there are corries and even hybrid tetras but that is not often seen in pet stores. They probably label them as "mixed tetra" or whatever because they don't want to take the time to see what species they actually have in that tank. In my favorite pet store they usually have each specie's name written on the glass, though I believe I have seen "mixed barbs" once before. This is why this forum gets so many "What fish is this?" threads, because stores don't bother to label them.

Call it a pet peeve of mine, but calling fish by "breed" isn't quite right. They are individual species unless they are indeed a hybrid. Even different color variants or strains shouldn't be called a breed IMO. There is one species of domestic cat but different breeds. There is one species of Neo. davidI (cherry shrimp) but many color variants/strains.

MacZ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Interesting how the meaning can differ.

Here it can mean

- "unsold leftovers" of species that are not regularly in stock (like 2-3 of originally 50 they got in)
- tanks with fish that got traded in
- assorted colour varieties (most often here for lifebearers, juvenile angels and goldfish)
- I see tanks with assorted species of Mbuna, but they never say "mixed" to those.

I rarely see hybrids of anything here actually.

Rev

Well Known
Reaction score
Usually it's just assorted, condensing their tanks and putting different kinds of the same species in the same tank. But in something like the case of guppies or endlers it's a fish that didn't classify as a certain type. So they just sell them as mixed or assorted. Like if it was bred to be a cobra or mosaic but didn't have the pattern it gets thrown into the assorted bin.

New Threads