What Does My Scape Need??

Preston Landolt
I just got in some new manzanita, and it looks great, but it came in a little small which I’m not too happy about, nevertheless I somewhat like how my scape looks, but there’s so much empty space everywhere, and the angels seem to refuse to go near the wood. I hope to add some plants in soon, but the hard scape needs some help. What should I do to really make the tank pop?? I have another medium piece of wood that will go in the tank once the tannins are out of it, but I’m worried about the new wood being too dark compared to the manzanita. When I do get plants I’ll drain the tank down to about halfway to fix it a bit, but until then what should I do

d5eb0bb21b91883b8b12d9d82585a0eb.jpg

Lollipop0912
Live plants save scapes and fish IMO. I’d add another few pounds if live rock and maybe make some more ridges with the live sand. Attach some java fern to the wood and the fish will visit.
I might prop the wood up and plant around it to make it a focal point.
Also,I only see one fish in the tank. Is that the only one?
Below is my tank. I got the hornwort 1/2 the size it is in the pic and it’s only been a week. Also, I cut 1/2 of it. I made my rock go in a /\ shape so there were lots of holes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 77
CanadianFishFan
I just want to say I love that their is a fork, fish food, paper/cards and a paintbrush on your stand.

Lollipop0912
I just want to say I love that their is a fork, fish food, paper/cards and a paintbrush on your stand.
Agreed, us fishkeepers have to eat sometimes. You know, between work, water changes, fish shopping, and posting on fish lore.

Preston Landolt
The for was used to sink some vegetables for the Plecos in there as for the paint brush, that was for getting sand off all the rocks

midna
you could probably do a pretty cool hardscape with more rocks. live plants are also a+++

Preston Landolt
What kind of rocks would I get and where would I get them

midna
well, where'd you get the rocks that are already in there? a lot of lfs will carry lots of different kinds of rocks. they sell them by the pound. sometimes pet stores like petsmart and petco have rocks, but not as much selection. for inspiration, try a google search like this. there are a lot of amazing aquascapes on instagram as well, just look up hashtags like #hardscape #aquascape etc.

if you're low on money, you could also go in search of rocks yourself in the great outdoors. just make sure you sanitize them before putting them in your aquarium and make sure they're safe.

Preston Landolt
I got the rock in my old lfs over 8 hrs away, I would REALLY like to go two a local river and get some rocks, it’s just a matter of when I can go

midna
yeah. for now, I think your fish will be fine with what you have until you can get them some more stuff

Mcasella
Seiryu and other gray to white rocks would likely be best to offset the wood (manzanita and malasian). The darker wood shouldn't be an issue.

Preston Landolt
Here’s a pic of the other wood
51414564702074d85e9be5162d3b6998.jpg
Found it in the woods, I boiled it and now I’m getting the tannins out

Preston Landolt
My phone totally glitched out! Sorry

Oh no I fixed it ( it posted the picture like 100 times)

Coradee
No problem, I removed the duplicates

Preston Landolt
Thanks for that!

FishWithTim
Live plants for sure.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
FishyChris
Replies
Views