What Does My Betta Have?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by MusicGail, Apr 8, 2017.

1. MusicGail

MusicGail Valued Member Member

This is my second post today...
    I have a 3.5 tank with 1 male betta fish, Reggie, 3 black racer nerite snails and 2 live plants.
    My Betta hasn't ever been really that healthy for long. It seems that every month or so I have to treat him for something. Usually his fins start to fray and his eyes get REALLY clouded. And he has resently stayed under the castle in his tank, he only comes out to breath. Any idea what this is? How to treat it? Why he might be getting sick?
    I don't know my water levels at the moment, I'm about to go get a liquid test kit but I wanna make sure that I get alll the stuff I need while I'm out so I don't have to to go back. I've been using Herbtana to treat him. Should I use something else?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Sorry for the bad pics. That was one of the only times he came out today.
    Also, my lighting is really poor in my tank. Any suggestions on what I can do to fix that?

2. OP
    OP
    MusicGail

[​IMG]
    Sorry about the glare. This is what my tank looks like.

3. j

jess3434 Valued Member Member

It looks like he might have fin rot, how often are you changing the tank water? If he always seems to be getting sick the water quality might be poor. I would start doing 10-25% water changes everyday and see if he gets any better. As well, are the edges of his fins gray or red? As for the cloudy eye, is it swollen or bulging? If so it might be popeye. I do not have experience with cloudy eyes but I have dealt with fin rot.

4. OP
    OP
    MusicGail

I change the water about once a week, 25-50%. The edges aren't exactly gray, I can't really tell cause his normal color in some places is a creamy whitish, it could be slightly gray though. And his eyes are a little swollen. Sorta

Is there a medication I should get? Or should I just do daily water changes?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2017
  5. j

jess3434 Valued Member Member

I would start with the water changes, if it does not get better or get worse then I would look for a medication. Aquarium salt is very controversial, I have used it but only for 10 days, an API fungal treatment has worked for me and many recommend it. (In the end after using it, my betta died of dropsy, not likely the medicine but from low immune system) But I would definitely try the water changes, they help a lot.

6. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsy Fishlore VIP Member

I agree. Up the water changes for a while, do 2-3 50% water changes per week. Also get the test kit and watch for ammonia and nitrite.

If his eyes are cloudy I suggest a fungal medication containing nitrofurazone, such as Furan-II or jungle fungus tabs. The tabs you can find at Walmart. I just used them to treat popeye in my betta and he made a 100% recovery. It will help with his fins as well.

Do you have a heater in his tank? I can't see one in the photo. Bettas need to be kept in warm water, between 78-82 F, with 80 being perfect. Being in colder water can compromise his immune system and make him more susceptible to disease and other problems.

For lighting you may can add some stick on LED strips, since your tank has a shaped hood.

7. OP
    OP
    MusicGail

I'll look into the light strips
    I got yalls message about what meds you suggest after I got back from the store. This is what I got: [​IMG] I've used one of their products before and it seemed to work so I trust it. My local pet store is relatively small so they didn't even have a full water test kit. They only had a pH level one. Will that suffice for now until I can go back and see if they restocked?

8. AngelTheGypsy

Can you do amazon? Their price on the test kit is much lower, $22 compared to $32 at petco.

That med may work, does it have an ingredient list?

9. OP
    OP
    MusicGail

It doesn't have an ingredient list on the bottle, but it does say this:[​IMG]

10. OP
    OP
    MusicGail

I should be able to look into getting a test kit on amazon. What are good levels for betta fishes for pH levels ?

11. OP
    OP
    MusicGail

[​IMG]
    This seems bad to me...

12. AngelTheGypsy

The thing with pH is that you just want it to be stable. My water has a pH of 8.4 and my bettas all do fine. For that reason I have to use the high range ph test.

That medicine may help, but I don't know that I would use it with your snails. The part about copper makes me think it may have copper in it and invertebrates don't tolerate copper. If you use it I would remove the snails for their safety. I would look into the fungus tabs at Walmart. They're like $3.

Don't panic about your pH.
    Just order the one from amazon and go from there.

13. B

Bruxes and Bubbles Well Known Member Member

Don't worry too much about PH; I have a PH between 8.2 and 8.4 and I keep bettas without issue.

14. OP
    OP
    MusicGail

Thank you so much! Where should I put my snails? Would the cup my Betta came in be too small?

15. AngelTheGypsy

That might be okay but I suggest a smallish, but not too small, Tupperware container, and don't for get an algae wafer and a lid. Treat I like a small tank, use water conditioner and do water changes.

16. OP
    OP
    MusicGail

Do nerites eat kale?
    And I'll go get that Tupperware container

17. AngelTheGypsy

Try a zucchini slice . And make sure to rinse the Tupperware well with hot water.

18. OP
    OP
    MusicGail

Alright! Thanks so much! I'll send an update when I can see some progress

19. MissStarfish

MissStarfish New Member Member

Do you have a heater? If you don't, that is a must have.

Cloudy eyes is usually fungal. Pimafix worked for my betta's fungal disease.

As for your regular water changes, for a 3.5 gallon tank, I would do them every 4-5 days instead of every week, changing out 25% of the water instead of 50% every time.

The smaller the tank, the more water changes you need to make. Especially with the snails in there.

20. OP
    OP
    MusicGail

I do have a heater, it's just in the side of the tank, can't really see it in the pictures.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice