What Does It Take To House An Elephant Nose Fish

Wobbegong

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I probably won't get an elephant nose anytime soon but I have been a bit curious lately. I know they can be a bit challenging to keep but what are their care requirements. Are they aggressive, what fish can the be housed with. What is a minimum tank size, I do have a 60 gallon tank that I am going to keep angels in, would they be an appropriate fish for that.

LilBlub

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Elephant noses need at least a 50 gallon aquarium, so your tank is a good size for one. They are very sensitive to any changes in water parameters and also to salt. The pH should be neutral to slightly acidic. They are also scaleless so they’re sensitive to medications.

They can be aggressive to other elephant noses but usually get along well with other species. They’re best kept singly or in groups of three or more (keeping two will result in bullying). Angelfish should be fine to keep with them. Keep in mind that they are also electric fish, using a charged field to map out their environment and find food. And fun fact, if an elephant nose fish were the size of a human their brains would be bigger than ours!

OP
Wobbegong

Wobbegong

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Cool, I think if I once I have things going in my 60 gallon for a while I will get one.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not the easiest fish to keep in a community tank. Target feeding is a must in a community. They will hide with bright lighting.
182111201a8e1c4713833729ca6480b5.jpg

RonJ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dave125g said:
Not the easiest fish to keep in a community tank. Target feeding is a must in a community. They will hide with bright lighting.
182111201a8e1c4713833729ca6480b5.jpg
Dave, How big a tank it is kept in? Seriously fish says more 67G minimum with 4ft footprint. Really that much?

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
RonJ said:
Dave, How big a tank it is kept in? Seriously fish says more 67G minimum with 4ft footprint. Really that much?
Yep. This guy can get 8 inches I think. I kept mine in a 75 gallon.

RonJ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dave125g said:
Yep. This guy can get 8 inches I think. I kept mine in a 75 gallon.
What other fishes you kept it with? 8inches can't it still do good in a 36X18X18 ? I have some free space in my peaceful 50G community. Just curious.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
RonJ said:
What other fishes you kept it with? 8inches can't it still do good in a 36X18X18 ? I have some free space in my peaceful 50G community. Just curious.
I kept him incorrectly. He was in a community with corys tetras and a pair of angels. These guys are shy, and slow to find food. They get out competed by the corys. In a community they have to be target fed. The elephant nose is a bottom dweller also. It should be ok in a 3 foot tank ,I would think.

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not many people seem to be able to keep them for long.

Also, they hide for much of the time I believe.

Despite their interesting appearance, I think there are many more satisfying fish to keep.

Dave125g

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They do hide pretty much all day. There quite light sensitive.

Sunny Kim

Reaction score
After much difficulty of ensuring proper feeding of my EN, I got little(?) creative and tried the spice shaker with bigger holes. So far so good. It seems to be working!

New Threads