What does it mean when....

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by anz, Dec 8, 2012.

1. anzValued MemberMember

I have african cichlids. Occasionally I notice some of them...I'm trying to find the best way to describe...shaking, shimming, kinda like a seizure. Not sure how to describe. Anyway, it only last for a few seconds. It's like they just stop swimming and they shake for a few seconds. What is this.:confused:

2. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

Maybe they were affected my your ornament and are shaking from toxins leaving? I have africans in a 55 too and I've never seen them do anything like that.

Maybe from the ph being lower than they like? They like it between 8 and 8.5.
    For the toxins (if that's what it is) you could add live plants. Java moss works really well with my cichlids. It grows fast and it doesn't root so u don't have to worry bout them uprooting it. And it'll grow under pretty much any light.

3. Gordinian

GordinianWell Known MemberMember

What kinds of cichlids do you have? What is your male/female ratio?

I see my cichlids shaking like this for two different reasons. Normally, it is aggression between males (though females will do it too, occasionally). You should have a male/female ratio of one male to at least 3 females to lower aggression levels.

The other reason could be that they're breeding :)

4. Disc61

Disc61Well Known MemberMember

can be numerous reasons, some mentioned by JD & Dolphin above. another can be an external parasite could be upsetting him. i would lean more towards agression behavior or breeding with Africans. is he/she eating well?

5. OP
    OP
    a

anzValued MemberMember

I've seen a couple of my yellow labs, aci's, and what is probably a hybrid kenyi. I don't know for sure if they are male or female.

Yes, the are eating normally.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2012
  6. Disc61

Disc61Well Known MemberMember

as long as they are eating well, it is probably a show of aggression.

7. OP
    OP
    a

anzValued MemberMember

Thanks everyone for your replies!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice