What does Fin Rot look like?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by joules, Mar 25, 2006.

1. joulesNew MemberMember

???What is fin rot and what does it look it?  What do you do to cure it? 

I'm pretty sure that my glowlites tetras have it with what I have been reading on the internet.  The edges of the fins are white and some of the fins actually look torn..... ???

2. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

Sounds like your neons do have it. It shows itself in white edged, "rotting" fins, usually fraying fins too.
    You can cure it with any antibacterial fish medication. I use Melafix, but only because I can't find Maracyn I and II, which everyone else on here suggests.
    Good luck!

3. joulesNew MemberMember

Thanks for the quick response!! 8)

I will get something today. What causes this to happen? ???

4. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

Sorry, I forgot, is your tank cycled? Fin Rot is usually caused by bad water conditions and/or a lot of stress.

5. joulesNew MemberMember

I have had my tank up and running for about 3 months now. I lost most of the first fish I had with Ick. It has noon been about 5 weeks since I did that treatment and got rid of the Ick.

I purchased 5 new glowlights (I keep wanting to call them neons...) last saturday and these seem to be the only fish that have the fin rot. They seemed fine when I brought them home from the store, at least I did not notice it then.....

How can I be sure that my tank has cycled?

6. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

Did you acclimatize the glowlights first? Floating the bag, then over an hour or so (more if the store's pH is dramatically different from yours) drain a little of the store water and add a bit of yours until the water in the bag is all your tanks. Then drain most of the water in the bag and put the fish in the tank.

You can know that the tank is or isn't cycled by testing the water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. If you don't have a test kit, get the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit (whew!). Don't get a strip test, as these are notorious for being inaccurate. They might be a bit cheaper but they don't last as long. The test kit I mentioned has more than 700 tests.. Most strip tests usually only have about 25, but the more expensive ones have 100.

7. joulesNew MemberMember

The only medication I could find in town today was Fungus Cure. It said to add 1 capsule to every 5 gallons of water, so I added 4 as my tank is a 20 gal tank.

The directions said it would turn the water green! Boy did it ever!! Like Neon Green Water!!!

It said to leave this for 48 hours and then add 4 more for another 48 hours and then do a 25% water change. Will this cure the fin rot this quick?

There is no pet store in our small town the closest one is about 40 minutes away. I have to get the few things that I need at the local feed store. Is there a list of stuff that I should alway have on hand incase this happens again??

Thanks for the great help!!

8. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

What company was the Fungus Cure made by? Just wondering.
    Remember to keep your water super clean. Bacterial diseased, including finrot, often result from poor water conditions. Also, try raising your temp to 82 degrees. This is supposed to help kill those nasty little germs.

9. joulesNew MemberMember

The fungus cure was made by aquarium pharmaceuticals. the directions did not say anything about raising the temp in the tank, should I do that anyway?

I know when I had the ick problem I rasied the temp in the tank, should I do that whenever I have problem?

Thanks ;)

10. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Yup, raising the temp is always a good idea.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice