What does everyone use to clean the algae off of their glass?

CakeChic87

What does everyone use to clean the algae off of their glass? I'm looking for something that won't scratch, if there is such a thing. I have a pleco, but sometimes he doesn't get all of the algae off of the glass/plants. I'm currently using a scrub brush from Wal-Mart, it's a blue sponge with a long handle. It's soft'ish at first but after I use it, it gets rough & hard. I already have a few scratches from it.

stillmefromtheotherworld

I use a magnetic scraper, it does the job quite well. If it scraches the glass, get rid of it.

psalm18.2

Razor scraper made for fish tanks. Works great.

CakeChic87

Also, how do you remove scratches from the glass? If this is possible.

stillmefromtheotherworld

I don't think you can, but I really don't know!

Dondomingo

I would toss it if it's causing scratches. I use the magnetic glass cleaner from aqueon, only because the one I wanted wasn't in stock. Not to mention with those crazy loaches always doing loop de loops on the glass I have to be mindful of which way they are coming. I wouldn't be able to use a razor blade just for that reason..that would be no beuno in my case.

The only Con is Aqueons model sinks very fast if it gets disconnected from the magnet..almost like dangerously fast if a fish happen to be below.

I was looking for that model where the magnet floats to the top if it gets disconnected.

Since the scratches are in the inside of the tank, there's not many options for you as you would need to empty the tank first to buff it out.

Plus it really depends on the depth of the scratch..if it's deep, then buffing those out could weaken the integrity of the glass. If it's micro fine scratches, a cerium oxide powder would work, but you would have to make sure there's no traces of it before you refill the tank.

CakeChic87

Yeah I just threw it away. It only put a few light scratches on one of the sides, nothing too serious. I'm glad I noticed it before it put scratches all over. I'm upgrading to a new tank soon so I just wanted to find a better algae cleaner than the one I was using. I definitely don't want to get scratches on the new tank. I think I'll try out the magnetic glass cleaner. I just hope my bn pleco doesn't move it all over the tank lol.

Aquarist

Good morning,

I use the item in the link below to clean my aquarium glass:

Ken

ricmcc

I am a bit curious as to how your tank got scratched from a blue sponge, especially as you have a glass tank. If it was getting really hard between uses, I'd suggest that you rinse it quite thoroughly after use. More importantly, I'd check to see that I wasn't accidentally picking up gravel or some sort of grit when scraping the algae, A sponge just shouldn't scratch glass, I don't believe.----rick

djsmiley2k

Horned snail!

I have a magnetic scraper, but it's no way as good as the horned snail we got for our 30gal; he's actually doing a really good job of cleaning up the whole tank. I concidered getting a second one to help him out but I don't think there'd be enough algae for them both!

EricV

I use a soft bristled toothbrush. Cheap, effective, and won't scratch even acrylic.

Mamajin

I have a few Mag-Floats and one Aqueon. For the tank I have that has sand, right above the sand bed I use a soft toothbrush. Getting sand under the algae cleaners will scratch the glass.

Aquarist

Good morning,

I would like to add that the only glass panel that I clean is the front one. I leave the back and side panels alone. To me it adds to more natural look of the aquarium when some things are not so squeaky clean. (speaking about the inside of the tank only)

I have Plecos and Nerite Snails in both of my tanks so whatever is on the back and sides, I let them deal with it.

My front glass panels I clean every 10 days inside and every couple of days outside. I do not do water spots/marks nor finger prints on my glass! I can't help it!

Ken

Mamajin

I would like to add that the only glass panel that I clean is the front one. I leave the back and side panels alone. To me it adds to more natural look of the aquarium when some things are not so squeaky clean. (speaking about the inside of the tank only)

Goodness, my OCD would overwhelm me. Just knowing that it's there would wake me from a deep sleep lol. Sometimes when I see photographs of other peoples tanks and they have water spots on the outside of the glass, it drives me insane that I cannot reach through the monitor to wipe it clean rofl.

smee82

If your getting excess algae levels that a wipe over with a cloth or toothbrush (only use it for your tank and do not ask your fiance to clean your tank while your away or she might use the same cloth you use for washing dishes with like mine did) won't fix maybe useing a little bit less ferts (aw she just hit me. But she shouldn't be reading over my shoulder) or leave the lights on a little bit less. IMO prevention is easier then the cure. Also as aquarist48 only worry about the front sheet not only does it look more natural but f you go away for a couple of days you know you have something for your fishies to munch on so you don't need to worry about feeding.

Ps sorry for my bad spelling and grammer but ive bee out at a work dinner and have had to drink too much Chinese BaiJiu(Rice wine).

CakeChic87

I usually rinse the brush, let it dry & store it in a bucket. I guess it was old or I didn't rinse it good enough. I never thought about the gravel getting stuck on the brush. I do usually scrub all the way to the bottom so it's possible.

Paul1792

I was looking for a solution too and stopped by Petco the other day only to find the perfect blue pads for about $3. I tried it yesterday during water change and my gosh ...... it removed the really hard to get at stuff that seemed almost glued to back of the aquarium.

They also have a white colored version for plexiglass aquariums.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Elkwatcher
Replies
Views
Karen Morphis
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views