What does everyone do with babies?

Discussion in 'Crayfish - Crawfish' started by wpascarelli, Jul 27, 2015.

1. w

wpascarelli New Member Member

Sorry if this is a stupid question. It seems that everyone loves having their crayfish and other inverts and fish etc to have babies, and the internet is full of information on how to get them to have babies and how to care for the babies and have them survive. But these animals have many tens and even hundreds of babies. I am confused as to what everyone is doing with the babies once they have been born/hatched and once you get them to survive? I understand some people are breeders who breed and sell these animals professionally or semi-professionally, and I understand that some people use the offspring as feeders to feed to other animals. But what is the average aquatic pet owner doing with hundreds of baby crayfish in their house? I sometimes feel as though I am the only one who is obsessed with ensuring that my crays, frogs, shrimp, fish etc do not or cannot get pregnant.
    Im thinking alot of people probably just leave the babies/juvies in with the adults and hope they get eaten? It would be awesome if my crayfish could have one baby a year lol but I just do not have the room or tank space to deal with hundreds of them each year and I am really wondering if there is something that I am missing or not understanding.

2. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore :;hi2

Not a stupid question :)
    Well right now I have about 50 of molly and platy fry in a 10g quarantine tank. I called around and luckily one of my local pet stores will take them when they're about in inch. Otherwise I have NO idea because I certainly don't have room for them!

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If/when my angels breed, I plan to raise the fry and sell them to fish stores.

4. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

I usually sell them locally or keep them. If it's my shrimp, I always keep them. I can never have too many lol. Fish, I keep in a tank until they're big enough to sell. I'm not even semi professional. I just sell them as a hobby on the side of my fish keeping hobby hahaha.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    w

wpascarelli New Member Member

Interesting. Didnt realize so many regular people are selling them. Do you mostly sell on Craigslist? Or something like Aquabid? Do you find that pet stores will buy invert babies?

6. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

It depends on what I have. Angels and Discus I try to sell myself. If that doesn't work, I give them to a LFS.

Cichlids other than the Angels and Discus are used as feeders. Or if I feel like it, I'll grow them out to see how they turn out. Then try and sell them Craigslist or on fish forums.

Stingrays I make sure I know who they are going to knows how to take care of them, and has the right size tank for them.

7. K

KevAndKay New Member Member

My electric blue cray just hatched her eggs last week. She had a ton of eggs, but not seeing many babies a week later. See some, but not many. I'll give mine away, maybe keep one. As far as fish, the babies are feeder food, only the strong survive.

8. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

Well, Mr. & Mrs. Ram Cichlid have a simple solution: eat them.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

My fish babies I'm donating to a lfs, the same place will buy my mystery snail babies from me when they're big enough. And hopefully, some of my snails will be going to fellow fishlore folks :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice