What does a 125 gallon tank typically cost?

chadcf

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So LFS are all closed making it hard to shop and plan out a budget. Petco has no tanks this big listed online. Petsmart has an aqueon with stand combo for $500 but I'd kinda rather build my own stand than use a crappy MDF one. I've kept a loose eye on craigslist for years and have never seen a 125 pop up there.

I'm wondering for anyone running one, what did your 125 cost and where did you buy it? I feel like even if I ditch the stand the petsmart tank is probably the best deal but I don't know...

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I work at an LFS that sells tanks sized 5G-300+ gals.

It would depend on what you're looking for, Rimless tank, glass tank, pre-drilled tank? Its been a minutes since I've got to look at my quote book, but we've had sales for 125 combos as low as 700$ for the entire thing (glass canopy, led light, tank and stand). Standard aqueon combos would probably go for about 1600$ not on sale for standard black. (that's including everything previously mentioned minus the filter and additional supplies).

Oak or cherry finish anything will be more expensive if you can even find them - manufacturers are starting to outsource these finishes. (meaning replacement parts - rims/fluorescent hoods - are becoming harder to find/replace).

For us, tank sales occur when we get a sale via our manufacturer. It would depend on the store and their suppliers regarding sales.

I actually purchased a 135G Seapora Aquarium from my store, the sale price was 695.99 for the led light, glass canopy, tank and stand.

It'd also factor on where you live. I live in Ohio, so depending on the local ranges...you'll want to do some math there.

and I just want to state too...if you mention you're going to build your own stand to the LFS associate (if you buy via LFS) they might mention (or they should mention) that the warranty on the tank is void if you do not use the stand that the tank manufacturer provides. 125G tanks, through aqueon, have lifetime guarantees. If it ever cracks or breaks, you can have it replaced UNLESS you do not (or mention that you don't...:X) have it on an aqueon stand. just something to note.

I've seen tanks that size where I live on facebook market place for between 400-600$ depending on their condition...

OP
chadcf

chadcf

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Interesting, thanks! I just want your basic standard tank. Rimless would be nice but not if it costs 2x as much.

Do you guys sell better quality stands with the combos? My main problem with the petsmart set is that while it's probably a good value, the stand looks like cheap particle board junk. I'm sure it's safe to hold the tank but a leak or overflow (not that I ever accidentally lose focus and let my python water changer overfill a tank ahem) will pretty much ruin it. I don't need a really fancy stand, I just want something that will last because trying to replace the stand under a 125 gallon tank sounds like a nightmare. And I figure I could make my own fairly easily out of 2x4's and marine grade plywood with a waterproof sealant.

FishGirl38

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
chadcf said:
Interesting, thanks! I just want your basic standard tank. Rimless would be nice but not if it costs 2x as much.

Do you guys sell better quality stands with the combos? My main problem with the petsmart set is that while it's probably a good value, the stand looks like cheap particle board junk. I'm sure it's safe to hold the tank but a leak or overflow (not that I ever accidentally lose focus and let my python water changer overfill a tank ahem) will pretty much ruin it. I don't need a really fancy stand, I just want something that will last because trying to replace the stand under a 125 gallon tank sounds like a nightmare. And I figure I could make my own fairly easily out of 2x4's and marine grade plywood with a waterproof sealant.
Well. Hmmm...Where I work, the brand tanks that we sell are primarily Aqueon and Seapora. The 135 that I purchased (seapora brand) did have a 'particle board' stand that I had my father set up :D...It's not...the cheapy particle board though. I've got some Walmart furniture that has bubbled and what not with water damage - I know the look and feel.

And It does look like cheapy wood, but it's not. The stands are made with either pine or oak and are finished black. I also own a rabbit that runs the room where we have the tanks, and she's *cough cough* taken a nibble out of the bottom of my stand about 2 days after I brought it home...*cough cough* Its real wood....lol. It didn't tear but re-vealed the wood underneath.

I will say though, they don't make em like they used to. I have a 75G tank with a oak finish stand that is 27+ years old, and you can clearly tell it's real wood, see where it was screwed and built and everything.

I personally trust the quality of the stands at our store (so aqueon brand - pretty sure they bought out 'All Glass'). but If you know you can build something that you'll trust more than a store bought product, than I don't blame you for wanting to make your own - it would probably be cheaper. If you haven't done any diy aquarium stuff before, I really recommend looking at the King of DIY's youtube channel. He has a fish room that's separate from his house where he's built his own stands and aquariums and has tutorials on how to make em and things to look for. There's one where he had one of his tanks bust because of a small pebble that was stuck under the tank in the spot where he screwed the stand together - just...little things to look out for that you might not think to look for otherwise. :).

New Threads