What Do Your Oto's Enjoy?

1. Crissandra331 Member Member

Recently got few more Otocinclus after a dry spell, found out why, sadly after they were ordered and bagged (someone worse than me would have got them, so their lucky technically) But I guess nobody has been able to get them to breed around here even in very large tanks, so they are wild caught. :( Now I hope they have absolutely no memory of this cause how the heck can you make a better environment than home. So I already feel like , but as soon as I got them in my tank they were super happy showing off and pairing up.

Anyways, they've been doing a really good job cleaning my plants and glass, I drop zucchini on the ground (for albino bristlenose) and also hang some. Haven't seen them on the zucchini in the higher level though. I have algae wafers, I tried yellow squash. I've extended my light cycle a little longer to help with algae growth. I figure as long as its not out of control or a nuisance, algae is okay, I have three species that eat algae, the Bristlenose, oto's, and Nerites. I feed my other fish pretty wide variety of frozen and now recently dry foods.

Is there any other foods you guys have had pleasant results from with Oto's I'd like to give them as much selection as possible...

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

My Oto's love courgette (zucchini) & green beans, mine also love New Era catfish pellets
    Wild caught can take a while to realise it's food so always put it the same place & they'll eventually get the message.
    Hope they do well for you :)

3. Crissandra331 Member Member

And the green beans you buy fresh from produce? I've never eaten vegetables in my life, so feeding my fish veggies is always a learning experience lol. I'm not sure I would know what to do with fresh green beans. Snip off the ends?

I will try and find some of that New Era, would be a nice addition for all of my fish and looks like it's received pretty good reviews.

I thankfully saw them latch onto some zucchini last night for first time.. made me feel hopeful. Everyone seems to have round bellies and nice color.. Their so pale in dealer tanks :( Glad I picked em up I wonder if they might have starved @ Petco.

Have you had any luck with spinach?

[​IMG]
    3 of 4 Oto's :)

4. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

With the green beans I split them lengthways & take out the seeds then blanche for a minute or two & put them in the tank

5. DoubleDutch Fishlore VIP Member

Protein-granules ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406228719.714707.jpg

6. Lyfeoffishing Well Known Member Member

Just got four yesterday and put a algae waffer in last night and half was gone in the morning with them still munching it. Took it out though 8+ hrs is good I think lol they will have algae rocks put in tonorroe morring so I can watch them.

7. k9z3boys Member Member

mine found the zucchini and were mad when we took it out. also caught one eating algae wafer. usually they are stuck on the glass, either munching or hanging out. haven't tried much else yet.
    we are also growing our own algae to supplement them
    [​IMG]

8. Crissandra331 Member Member

I'm thinking about trying an algae garden, Along with everything mentioned above

Thanks Everyone :)

9. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Enjoy your Oto's, sounds like they'll do very well in your care :)