What do your family and friends think of your tanks?(poll)

What do your family/friends think of your aquariums?

• They love them and get right in to it.

Votes: 13 11.7%
  • They like them and think they look pretty.

Votes: 50 45.0%
  • They don't really care/don't notice.

Votes: 16 14.4%
  • They think they are taking up to much space.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • They hate them and are grossed out by the concept.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • They think im crazy and fallen off my rocker!

Votes: 26 23.4%

• Total voters

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
they think im nuts, gone over the edge, and ready to commit me!!!!! which I said is perfectly fine (I need a vaca from these NON fish family/friends who are totally off the wall) just feed my fish ;D

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They think I'm crazy isn't an option. That's the one I would choose.

chumzhujun

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My family dont approve me of getting a fish tank as i am still small. I really envy adults who have beautiful aquaraim. Because they ave the money. In singpore,
A6gallon cost$183... - i really nid a fish tank

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My kids love it as they grow up around it and was always helping me. My new wife thinks its ok but still thinks I'm crazy, buy that might not just be the hobby...lol

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'd say all of the above except grossed out. My husband likes them, especially watching my pirahana, I mean gold barbs, eat. But at the same time he could easily live without them and wouldn't miss them. He also thinks they take up too much space and won't let me get anymore. My daughter is alternately interested and indifferent, but always jealous of the time I spend working on them. I don't think my husband understands how someone can be so interested in fish and I can just see him tuning me out when I start talking about fish things.

-Lisa

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My kids love it as they grow up around it and was always helping me. My new wife thinks its ok but still thinks I'm crazy, buy that might not just be the hobby...lol
awesome for the kids!!! mine grew up with one 30g tank...which they loved...but they make sure they let me know the 9 tanks I have now, are just not (how do I word it on a family friendly site?) NOT necessary? and my poor bf, just okey: then rolls his eyes and walks off ....of if they only could be as obsessed as we are

Charlemagne

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My parents and siblings are fine with *cough, cough* "our" tanks. Although, my mom as issued a VERY firm rule that there will be ABSOLUTELY NO more fish tanks in her kitchen. She made an exception for my sister's 3 gallon, but NO MORE. My 5 gal is in my bedroom, so just my sister and I see it most of the time, and just about everyone we have over loves the 29 gal. in the livingroom. I mean, lots of people are fine with 1 or even 2 or 3 fish tanks. It's when you start to have 4 or 5 or 6 or 9 or 53 that you begin to get the weird looks, and bored yawns. then people discover your true identity as a fish nut!

ppate1977

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Some of my friends are interested, but I wonder of they are just being nice. Compared to myself, none of them could care less. Lol

LauraMillar

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
my family get annoyed with my weekly water changes, hogging the bench with my buckets and water conditioner when they try and make dinner. My friends just dont get it, they dont understand how i can get so attached to my fish and why i insist on spending so much money on tanks and accessories. They dont think that the fish are worth the effort. But Their My Babies!!! and i love them. i wouldnt pass up being a fish loon ever.

MikeNTX

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My girlfriend enjoys sitting in front of it daily...but I think she is getting annoyed with me messing with it all the time. Ive been doing 40 gallon water changes the last two weeks. I treat 50 gallons at a time and hog the sink with hoses runnin across the kitchen and living room...better than haulin buckets though!

I get strange looks from the guys in my office when everyone is talking about their weekends and I chime in and say 'Worked on the tank.'

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
My family/friends think I'm crazy. My daughter, however, likes to look at the tank with her friends. She almost brags about it, but doesn't lift a finger to help....typical teenager.

Tys15

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My family/friends think I'm crazy. My daughter, however, likes to look at the tank with her friends. She almost brags about it, but doesn't lift a finger to help....typical teenager.
I am offended lol, I'm 15 and I care for 7 tanks at home and part-time the 30 at my job. My friends do think I'm crazy hah

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

Most people are amazed at my aquariums. Not too many people in these parts have seen a 265g in someones home. They seem to fall in love with the Bloody Parrots. I even had one girl to ask me if they were real. Duh!!!!!!! lol (I felt like saying no they're wind up plastic fish).

Wriggley (my betta) wins peoples hearts in a big way. They've never seen bettas with the colors and long flowing fins that Wriggley has.

Most people ignore my goldfish That's ok, I love them!

Chef is glad that I'm happy and enjoys watching them. I've listened to him give details of the fish and tanks to other people. He does a pretty good job. Now back in the kitchen Chef and prepare me a feast! lol

Ken

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Haha, most people I know think it's quite cool, but when I sit on eBay comparing Vita-Chem/master test kit/fish food prices, I get funny looks. At weekends when I go and stay with my bf, my mum is perfectly happy to feed the crew and check up on them (she loves the bettas dancing for her) but I still have to do all the water changes!

Alee C.

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My tank is in the living room, and can be viewed as soon as you walk through the door. Everyone always says that its beautiful with crystal clear water. The first thing everyone usually says is ''Are those frogs real?'', and followed by, ''How long does it take to clean?''.

I think fishtanks(if kept cleaned) are a beautiful addition to any room, who needs rugs and paintings, when you got a nice big tank, and a nice big dog(of course).

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Generally speaking, my family think the tanks are pretty. But, they also think I've gone a little cuckoo lol Particularly my younger sister, who I make help me with the weekly changes (I give her the easy job- sit and watch that I don't suck up shrimp or babies and hold the syphon-hose in the bucket). They also think that they take up alot of space... But they've accepted that I will eventually be getting another tank at some stage

Mum 'plays' with them, waving her fingers in front of the glass while they all come and beg. She especially loves having the bristlenose come up to the glass and challenge her with his spike-flaring. Dad watches them when no one is looking (he's too tough to get attached to fish ). Oh, and EVERYONE loves Steve the mystery snail, he brings us together as a family to watch him lol

My boyfriend is fantastic, he enables me He loves fish too, as well as shrimp and snails... So I convinced him to turn an old 2.5gal into a RCS tank He also helps me with the water changes if he happens to be over on water change day.

My other friends think I'm a little, weird. To put it mildly But they do think the baby platies are cute.

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
my 4 yr old daughter is always excited about the fish. she likes to go "check" on them, and the snails lol. my husband makes fun of me, saying i just sit there salivating while staring mindlessly at the tank/s. how dare he! my fish are relaxing to me. i tell him to come watch with me, and he does for a bit.......but i doubt if he would on his own. sigh

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom