What Do You Want To See More Of In Fish Stores?

1. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I figured that considering I plan to start my online fish store, I would see what people want to see more of. Any suggestions of things you'd like to see stocked?

2. jojomo91

jojomo91 Well Known Member Member

Knowledge and information :emoji_thumbsup:

3. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

A more variety of cories. :)

4. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

Guaranteed-snail-free plants. Wild-type livebearers. Fish on the CARES list. Bulk discounts for cichlids when you buy 6 (hoping for a pair)!

5. Ohio Mark

Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

Books. Natural material or at least natural looking decorations. Medications with a clear recommendation what medication is best for common problems.

Fish: Celestial pearl danios! "Koi" pattern platies or guppies.

6. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

For online in the uk i want to see "currently out of stock" less its all i see if i wanted to buy fish its a joke, im not after fish now any way but just for others. Also id like to see more choice of substrates in the physical lfs.

7. Ohio Mark

Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

Good choice on substrates. You're right about currently out of stock, too...

8. vikingkirken

Books, that is awesome. How awesome would it be to be able to discover all those rare aquarium books you didn't know existed, either in print or for Kindle?

9. aquatickeeper

aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

And also accurate and reliable information on each fish you sell.

10. grantm91

grantm91 Fishlore VIP Member

What annoys me too is its aps the biggest online one in the uk, they could at least put "available to order" but its just all out of stock its crazy its like how they even still going, and the substrate in the lfs is just seriously lacking and it is something i like to physically see as il be doing my 55 out differently soon.

11. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Clean, and orderly tanks in stores.
    This has got to be one of the biggest problems with the chain stores. I just went to PetCo, and they had a dead common pleco in one of their store tanks.

12. OP
    OP
    Katie13

Most definitely!
    Snail-free plants for sure! I have no intent to keep/breed MTS or Bladder Snails. I will sell Nerites and Mystery Snails though. Thoroughly washing/rinsing plants will also be a precautionary measure. Discounts for sure, especially for Fishlore members. What about buy 5 get one free ore something for Rams?

13. Honey gourami guy

Honey gourami guy New Member Member

Paradise fish, and different types of honey gouramis including wild type

14. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I will say you may want to consider keeping MTS/bladder snails or at least a tank of them. There is a definite market for them from heavy plant keepers as they do a great job cleaning plants gently and are a great food source for some cichlids and puffers.

As far as what I'd like to see in the hobby is some of the harder to find cichlid species. That's going to be a hard one to pull off though honestly. I don't think there is a large market for these and that's why many fish stores don't keep them. And the few people that are looking for these hard to find species, they are very picky of who they order from and rarely explore new stores that keep these species. It's going to be a hard market to break into. But various species in the thorichthys line I think would be very interesting to keep. You always see stores stocked with firemouths but there are so many absolutely stunning species in that group like pasiones, ellioti, and aureus that many fish keepers don't even know about. Same goes for Amatitlania. Everyone knows about convicts but what about sajica and nanoluteus? Less often kept geophagine cichlids like bandits and cupids would be something I'd love to see more in stores and not just the random hybrid "surinamansis" that probably aren't. Instead of the standard green and gold severums, how about some rotkeils or liberifer or notatus? Flier cichlids, chameleon cichlids, both species of chocolate cichlids. Don't even get me started on the old vieja genus. Any of them are pretty rare nowadays it seems but if you do see one it's a synspilum/melanura or a blackbelt. You never see any breidohris, argentae, regani, etc etc. I understand those are hard to keep because they need such big tanks but outside of TUIC and COTA, they are impossible to find many times.

15. OP
    OP
    Katie13

What about Nerite and Mystery Snail colors?

16. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Tiger nerites are usually the ones most folks want IME.

I've always enjoyed the blue mystery snails that have the matching blue bodies

17. vikingkirken

18. Honey gourami guy

Honey gourami guy New Member Member

What the website name gonna be

19. OP
    OP
    Katie13

Katie's Aquatics is what it came down to.

20. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

For the feeder guppies and ghost shrimp section to have guppies and ghost shrimp in them instead of leaving them empty. I swear they are never in stock.