what do you use as a thermometer?

1. allaboutfish

allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

plz provide a link.

2. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

3. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Thermometer or heater? (you've posted in the Heaters forum)

I use simple glass ones available for around $3-5 at any LFS. I think all mine are Marineland :;dk

I don't like the stick on ones, as they rely on heat transfer through the glass, and can be inaccurate.

If you meant heaters - then Eheim Jager all the way.

4. B

Borisbbadd Guest

I just use the stick on kind, but I check them every once in a while, with a big "old people eye friendly" brewing thermometer.....:;eye

5. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

thermometer. i thought itd be best put it in the heaters forum. i hate the little glass stick on kinds bc i cant read what it is.

6. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

Thermometer & Heater

This is what I use on all my aquariums. I love them. I think they are between 5-7 dollars. If you are talking heaters, I use a 250 watt Aqueon Pro Heater with a light on it. I like it because I have had heaters go out in the past and I don't know until I stick my arm in there for some reason and it is cold. I believe red is heating and green in "on". I use the 250 Watt on my 100 gallon tank, and a lesser wattage on my others. I don't have it on all my aquariums yet, I am to cheap to replace heaters that are already working.

7. ploopy

ploopy Valued Member Member

8. OP
    OP
    allaboutfish

i need something easy to read

i was thinking of using a probe. would that work?

9. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

My thermometer

Attached Files:

10. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

11. R

Rikard Valued Member Member

I've got a normal glass thermometer in my tank, but I find myself actually using a laser thermometer. Whats nice about it is that all you have to do is press a button & it gives you the temp. on a digital display. I also use it to make sure the water I add when I'm doing changes is the same temp. as the tank water. Some of them are expensive, but basic models aren't way too bad. You can pick them up at a hardware store. When I place the laser on the tank floor some of the fish will chase it around like a dog or cat will, which is also pretty amusing.

12. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

I use an infra-red temp gun. Kinda like this one, but not this model (I just picked a random one off of google): http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...1x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=SPM6110219502

The less expensive ones aren't as accurate, but they're super convenient. I use them to check fishtanks, when cooking, and of course to play with the cat using the laser pointer. :)

I've found the stick-on ones to be very unreliable. I just peeled mine off and threw it away the other day.

13. R

Rikard Valued Member Member

That's what I was actually referring to above. I love that thing. Although my dog seems more interested in the laser than the cat for some reason. Probably b/c my cat's a jerk.

14. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

15. L

Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I use a digital instant read kitchen thermometer.

16. Jay-raddd

Jay-raddd Valued Member Member

17. F

Fish Monger Valued Member Member

I use stick on and glass thermometers on my tanks and the Jaysee method for water changes.

18. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

19. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Posting links instead of the pics is ok :)
    Carol

20. s

steve Valued Member Member